Targets going right to left vs left to right...

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by DtSB, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

No, I still shoot pass through. Setting up with my layout facing 30-45 degrees to the right of the kill hole allows me to do that. The first 2 shots are far more likely to be spot shooting (still birds hanging over the decoys)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  2. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

I tend to set up and prefer the birds left to right just as you do Billy Bob. My aiming method is more like Bang's, the way Ravename suggested.

3. Sunklands

I guess I tend to "gap" shoot just as I do with my recurve or longbow when I bowhunt. I instinctively judge distance and lead accordingly. I think that is what Ravenanme is suggesting and I believe that's kind of what I do. It seems that faster flying divers or maybe even high flying geese, especially when I'm shooting my gold 10, I tend to swing through.

4. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Isn't most of Bangs shooting pass through? I shoot like he does.

5. Sunklands

I think his is if he's pass shooting but if they're decoying or working the spread then it looks more like he's "gap" shooting. Gap is what I call it, at least. After he's shot the first bird on the decoying or working the spread birds he quickly goes for the "gap" to shoot at the second and possibly third bird.

6. Docterduck

Docterduck Elite Refuge Member

I would start here...On left to right targets ( right handed shooter reverse for lefties) your looking across the barrel/rib with the master eye which can cause visual confusion/occlusion and resulting in a head lift (coming off the gun) hence a high shot. Look up the “ 3 bullet drill on you tube and practice it.

As was stated earlier you may be relying on your arms for the swing and taking/pushing the gun off your face however so slightly. Your swing starts from the feet up rotating around your hips.

By all means practice your gun mount and your move to the target!

7. Docterduck

Docterduck Elite Refuge Member

Allow me to correct myself...left to right for a right hand shooter you are looking on the left side of the gun!! Not across as is done on right to left.
    My bad! The focus needs to be on the birds beak always no matter...my first blush is you are checking the bird barrel relationship which pauses your swing and triggering the shot behind? You should be able to recognize this? Remember your first move to the target is your best move...trust it and take the shot! As the old saying goes “Move, Mount, Shoot”, the longer you are in the gun to many voices between your ears take the shot and they usually miss!

From there read remedy two in my first post.

8. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

If you get a chance to watch George Digweed, he always sets his feet to where he wants to be when he pulls the trigger on the bird. As to lead and styles, I am purely instinctive now, and I have used anything from spot shooting, to sustained lead, to pull away, to the full British pull-through method, depending on the bird and situation. My most success is from coming behind the bird, pulling through and slapping the trigger at the appropriate lead , which I am trying to do more of. A few years ago, I was nearly all sustained leads, but I found i missed more of the 2nd and 3rd birds, and it was taking me longer for the 1st shot. Its hard to explain, but I think the pull though method is more instinctive.

9. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Doctorduck and Bang you're right on , Good wing shooters use a 90% pull through Method on a crossing target , no matter which way it's traveling .
    It's a Method that once you give , into it , it becomes more natural . The one thing it accomplishes , if done right , it won't allow you to shoot behind a
    bird . The speed of the barrel over-takes the flying bird , no matter how fast it's traveling , and because you're continuing this faster move the shot
    string is in front of the bird ,somewhere ! Most reloaders understand that a 1200 fps load = 800 mph so with Steel Shot shells in the 1400 to 1500 fps
    velocity , the GAP we see at different times might look like 2 ft on birds locked up coming into the decoys or 4 or 5 barrel widths depending on the
    distance / speed of the bird . One thing for sure , a bird can't out run the speed of the pellets so shooting behind a bird , you have no chance at all but ,
    shooting in front , well , lets just say , with a little experience with the pull away technic , a bird will have a hard time getting away in any direction !
    So , finding the " line and shoot the lead " is a good thing to remember !

Sunklands likes this.
  10. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Billy bob must be a hell-of-a good shot , if , he shoots like Bang .......:yes:tu
    I know he only shoots ducks in the head with 6's , because , he told me so ! I only shoot at Ducks , to hit them , all over their bodies with a pull through
    of the barrel . :l:l:l:l:l