Targets going right to left vs left to right...

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by DtSB, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Dave in AZ

Dave in AZ Senior Refuge Member

Boy do I like watching Bang's videos!
    Bang, somewhere in a thread you talked about your video setup, camera etc... I thought I bookmarked it, but can't find it now. Might you have a link to that somewhere?
    thx!

2. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I said I shoot like bang, not as good. I just wish. :pra Any idiot can hit birds in the head when they are just hanging in the air almost still at 20 yards. I honestly only average around 50% shooting at the end of the season when I add up birds bagged and shells fired. That said, most of the shots I take are what people call picking cherries. In no way is that good shooting.

3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

A lot of what make a good shot/hunter is knowing when to take the shot. So, yea, that is good shooting.

4. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

I see you TWO guys point of , your way of good shooting , here farther down the migration trail we don't always have birds willing to finish so , We finish
    them in the air and sometimes they are at the maximum distance of the loads we're shooting . I suppose that's why we are so finicky about reloading
    what works best . It's fun to work up a recipe that allows us to have a reasonable chance at high flying birds , it's also fun to gain the experience to allow
    us to be successful when birds get stale . We do enjoy it when birds commit to the decoys and like most fellas that can handle a shotgun , it doesn't take
    long to limit out . Like I had mentioned before , I was taught that 2 or 3 good shots in a morning is more enjoyable than having a box of empties in
    my pocket , too !

5. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Here we go again with the bottom of the flyway stuff. :l :l :l How many times do I have to point out that a bird at the end of January is just as educated in the north as it is in the south? Fact is, they can be even more stale because they have been in the same area for a longer period of time (the entire season) and know all the local danger points. The effort put into finding exactly where the birds are, how they will react to decoys, calling or lack of calling and a perfect hide are what make 20 yard birds possible all season. It's not easy and most guys will not or can not put in the time needed. Hours and hours of looking for and watching birds even when you aren't hunting. Put in that kind of effort and you don't need hand loads to skybust with.

Native NV Ducker likes this.
  6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Birds new to an area are stupid. Birds that have been shot at in that area aren't. With the Youth Season, and now open season, my birds are already stale, in the spots I have hunted. I will be moving to new spots. They have to be going somewhere (and I have an idea where that is)

Billy Bob likes this.
  7. Ravenanme

Oh there's no question , we do use the most beneficial blind material know to man , it's called local vegetation . We also have the ability to lure
    birds in with our calling experience . The one thing we have to contend with is , there're a lot of hunters in the Central Valley and everybody wants
    to be where the ducks are so , there's a lot of guys moving around along with shots being fired within earshot . This activity does educate the birds
    real fast so the private I get to hunt is a special place even tho the birds can be skittish . I do believe in what OLD Paul Kingyon use to preach .......
    If you got targets , you best be shoot'n ......:yes:tu

8. Dave in AZ

nevermind, found it finally... buried in about 100 links in my "reloading threads of interest" folder ;)
    http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=685610&start=50
    for those interested

9. Ravenanme

Wow Dave , you're certainly more organized than I . I have Notes from Hell , I even have Ledgers in each place ( Reloading rm , PC rm and where I sit to
    watch TV ) , I'm pretty good at writing down points of interest but it's a mad scramble to find where I wrote it .....:l:l
    Warrens videos ( if one pays attention ) shows a wealth of info as he has so kindly shared his outings , with some of the best Waterfowling footage ,
    with slow-motion the technics of "Sustained lead" shooting as well as the "Pull through" methods of shotgunning . There's a lot to learn for the novice as well
    as for hunters who haven't had the opportunities to hunt much . One thing that needs to be pointed out , Bang you'r dead has the opportunity to hunt in
    places MOST HUNTERS dream about , places where there's (most likely) many chances to film his expertise at wing shooting , along with his natural ability
    to use his learned mechanics of proper gun handling with a smooth Move to , fine the line , Mount with a forward hand to allow maximum rotation and shoot
    with the experience to adjust the lead when he misses . One of the fun things I see in his videos is , his ability to take advantage of shooting ,Scotch Pairs ,
    you can see it coming and he has the experience to be successful , more times than not ! Fun Fun FUN.....as it soon will be our Turn ! :yes:tu

Thanks Bang

10. Dave in AZ

It's already duck season here in AZ, up in the northern mountain part of the state. Unfortunately I'm sitting around with a week off from work...with a really bad cold! So bang's videos are really making me feel better about this serious bummer of pissed away time.