Targets going right to left vs left to right...

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by DtSB, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Darn , that's a Bummer ! Our's starts Oct 21 but our early Goose was a blast , to be continued in just over a week .
    Most Clubs in the area are filled-up and local birds are having a hayday with all the water and new feed , cornfields are being chopped so theirs a lot
    of places for birds to feed , if fact , the wife and I were visiting south of here and saw at least 300 Lesser's feeding in a recently cut cornfield . Those
    birds are surly City birds as well as most of ours . With the arrival of the migrating early birds ( Teal ,Sprig and some Spooners) the skies well be full
    again soon .

2. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Here is what the camera looks like [​IMG] The mini is a little smaller in diameter.

Sunklands likes this.
  3. bang you'r dead

4. bang you'r dead

I liked the ideas in chapter 8 on "units" of lead, using the width of the barrel (approx 3/4 inch) as the reference to calculating lead at distances. The idea works pretty well and most beginning shooters should be taught this as well. Learning the leads on quartering shots is interesting, especially when using the unit method. Give it a try.
    Anyway, here is the pass shoot from before work yesterday. I think I took 13 or 14 shots total to get my 8 birds yesterday, but that is hunting. A couple were quite high/fast to make it a bit of a challenge.

Sunklands likes this.
  5. Ravenanme

Surly Blakely knows , when you take your eyes off the target (for even a millisecond) you lose the value of it's forward momentum , making you shoot
    behind BUT , when you achieve the experience , out of your peripheral vision , to see the estimated GAP ......it's deadly !
    Blakely is a Bird hunter and wonderful instructor of Wing shooting , his writings/videos are certainly fun to view .

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  6. bang you'r dead

I just ordered it, used, on line at Amazon for like $5.00. Will give me some reading this winter.

7. Ravenanme

I couldn't repeat (Blakely) describing "lead" word for word but after using his and Tom Rosters method of gaging "forward allowance" , I can say ,
    It's a asset for any wing-shooter to have in their bag .

8. bang you'r dead

...and go figure today I did mainly pull away shots, but also a sustained lead and a british pull through from behind. I don't know what the heck I am doing anymore. I'm certainly not as smooth the last couple of days. Too much coffee in the morning and not enough sleep I think. Trying to rush shots in the limited time I have in the morning before work (I have about an hour and 15 minutes from LST until I need to be home to get ready for work).

Best shot of the day was probably the scotch double on the last pair, but I did give a second shot to anchor the lead bird just to make sure it wouldn't dive on Miss Gracie.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  9. Ravenanme

Everyday is a different Day shooting as , the little mechanical error's we unintentionally do , comes to haunt US ! Wing shooting on uneven ground , like
    mud or even thick vegetation causes our shooting to be less than par , sometimes . The basic , as they come naturally , are the methods we have developed
    to gain the sight-picture we want to see and as we "hard focus" on the "Flight-Line" of a bird our experience in estimating the forward allowance is , MORE ON ,
    than off , which is easy to see in your Videos . Surely there're mistakes we notice , which end up with a missed or crippled bird but seeing that you're mostly ,
    right on target , with a "Pass Through"method of Wing shooting , certainly gives us viewers a method to duplicate for successful wing shooting !
    Pull through as I was taught , is the method of putting the barrel on the bird and matching its speed , then PULL Through its Line of flight with a faster barrel speed until you see the required forward allowance .
    The PASS Through method ,as I was taught , is following the line of flight with a faster swing of the barrel overtaking the bird , then , when the forward
    allowance looks right , pull the trigger !
    Both methods are prefered by experienced Wing shooters with a good follow through after the shot , and as they become a natural Method of wing shooting
    the success of using the BBB's surely will follow !

10. possumfoot

possumfoot Elite Refuge Member

I hunt the same place all the time. i find all shots to be simple except for 1. side to side is simple. up an at or up and away, are my favorite. strait at me. DONE!! but low and flying strait away at distance is a low percentage shot. (40 yards flying low and strait away is about a 25% shot) if the bird has an angle to it, easy enough. does not matter if it is a vertical angle or left/right.