Targets going right to left vs left to right...

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by DtSB, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Docterduck

Docterduck Elite Refuge Member

There are basically 5 shooting methods to establish lead.

Swing thru
    Pull away
    Maintained or Sustained lead
    Collapsing or diminishing lead
    Intercept

2. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

As a level lll instructor , you should know ! :tu
    Pull away......yeap , that's for me and for Bang , from what I see !

3. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I use a method we refer to as trapping, and I would assume that is "diminishing lead?"
    I also use what I refer to as "move-mount-and shoot." Gun mount "probably just a bit faster than the target," with a hard focus on the leading edge, and as soon as my face touches the stock, I shoot... Which of the above methods is that?

I still utilize a "swing-through" at times, but have found little use for a sustained lead (outside of skeet shooting). Maybe a bit off topic, but I would love a description of the methods you mentioned....

4. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

1st bird is pretty close to your "trapping" method. Gun was mounted and trigger pulled nearly immediately, although I would probably call it a butt-beak-boom swing thru as well.
    1st goose is a butt-beak-boom from behind, followed immediatly by a 2nd butt-beak-boom on the white snow goose. Buggered the third shot by trying to sustain the lead.
    2nd duck is a butt-beak-boom
    3rd and 4th ducks are interesting. Had to hold off on #3 until hen cleared , so I went from butt-beak-boom to a pull away on it, followed by a nice smooth butt-beak-boom on mallard #4
    5th duck I missed on a sustained lead , only to pick it back up on a butt beak boom on the 3rd shot
    6th duck was looked almost like an intercept by accident following a butt-beak-boom , so I took it quickly, knowing I had a nice drake going the other way out of the blocks. Duck 7 was a slow mover going right to left, so lots of time to pull in front and sustain an angled lead
    duck 8 was a sustained lead, but I was a little too far in front in the first shot and shot the beak of the bird, but anchored it with a point shot on the 2nd for my 8th bird.

Those are some examples from todayl

5. Dave in AZ

Dave in AZ Senior Refuge Member

6. Docterduck

They are best demonstrated so I recommend going to YouTube. Each method should be learned IMHO. Over time you likely will have your go to method without thinking.

Move mount shoot without watching you might be sustained (muzzle always in front) or swing thru (muzzle coming from behind and moving on the line to get in front)

The real benefit when done correctly using MMS the shot is taken before our brain turns on and you get those voices going between your ears! Remember the longer you in the gun the greater the risk of that and misses will occur.
    Or to put it another way we always miss the shot we should have taken.

When it comes to sporting clays they all should learned and have their merit on this presentation or that. Certainly you will have your bread and butter method BUT this is where having them all in your quiver helps. One presentation you shot 50% and came away shaking your head when shooting the presentation using a different method you would have ran the station.

7. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Thanks Doc.....Even tho the Pull thur method is prefered by Wingshooters , as it determines the speed and line of the target , understanding the
    forward allowance can be a challenge , only learned by experience , whereas the Swing thur method doesn't include the matching of the birds forward progress
    but Swinging thur faster that the bird is flying and touching off the trigger as the barrel passes the bird . Sustained Lead being a move in front of the flying
    bird from the mount and staying in front with the proper forward allowance , making the shot and continuing the follow thur !
    In these videos of Bang demonstrating the PULL THUR method , it is easy to see the shot coming together with the bird and his Follow thur.....but ,
    at the shot ( which is very impressive ) is his ability to pickup the next victim and , find its Line , and maybe the third bird as well ! All these shots
    are within 30 yds or so , so the (kinda) sustained lead ( I see ) on some birds is a typical forward allowance as shot on the first bird , to the second .

Thank Goodness we have Level III instructors to show us the different ways !

8. Docterduck

Thanks Raven. The whole key is getting in sinc with the birdie! Always eyes before gun...always!

FEEL the shot come together and your success will improve.