Taste of coastal ducks vs inland ducks

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by quackattack89, Mar 6, 2018.

1. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

There's two reservoirs out here that winter a decent flock so when they show up, will call you but don't worry about the wood duck shoot in north Alabama, been there, done that!

2. payton

payton Senior Refuge Member

I agree with soaking all birds in salt water a couple of days to improve taste. I have shot several Scoter's out of the same flock and have one taste like beef and the next like low tide mud. Go figure, I know diet makes a difference but maybe age also. We get all the Goldeneye's you want in eastern Wa. and I don't recall eating a bad one. I have seen hundreds of goldie's in front of grain elevators so maybe that's the difference.

3. J.Bennett

J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

Not relatively close, but if you’re ever out this way during duck season, I’ve got cans.

CANCAN.JPG

Duckfiend, stevena198301 and JP like this.
  4. Fishun Injun

Fishun Injun Senior Refuge Member

I soak ALL game birds in salty water until it shows very little color....sometimes for a week!! Venison, squirrels,rabbits the same way. One is doing 2 good things:Aging for tenderness and removal of blood. I raise cattle and feed a steer out once a year until slaughter....it ages with hide on for a month in the cooler(keeps moister in leaving the hide on)....you can almost cut a steak with your fork....Mighty FINE!!

5. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Dude you live close to guntersville, that’s the can Mecca

6. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Yep. Not set up for it, and not willing to learn it alone with the freak show that goes on out there. I’ll leave that place to the GA boyz.

7. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Nothing really to set up for, at least when we've hunted them on Toledo. Most hunts have been us sitting on a "sandbar" on an island around where they were loafing and feeding; a dozen dekes out and you could shoot all you want. We'd literally sit on the edge of the water out in the open and eat sandwiches while cans constantly stirring around in our spread 15 yards away. And this is mid morning on crystal clear days. I don't know if we just got lucky or what, but it was some of the easiest hunting I've done. Haven't been in while now, but probably made a half dozen or so trips over 2-3 years with about the same results. I had a video of several hundred lighting in the dekes right in front of us but I guess I lost it when my hard drive crashed.

8. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

get in where you fit in baw. Make sure you got a skulling paddle and at least a 20,000,000 candlepower Q beam. I got a spotlight off a tug on my boat

stevena198301 likes this.
  9. waterrat

waterrat Elite Refuge Member

I can't speak to coastal birds, as I only hunt inland. Though, where I'm from, teal always tastes the best. I do know the high salt content of my home river makes the fish taste much better than pond fish, so it stands to reason. We've shot a couple of cans out of flocks and had the rest swing right back around and kamikaze into the decoys 2-3 more times. Redheads can be suckers too.

10. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

Are you an undercover Iowan?