Tax refund complaints

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by BigSkyDuk, Feb 12, 2019.

1. BigSkyDuk

BigSkyDuk Senior Refuge Member

I don’t think this is political, or intend it that way, because as far as I know math is still bipartisan. I’m seeing all these news stories come out about how surprised people are that their refunds are smaller with the new tax law, or even in some cases people who are used to getting refunds now having to cut the IRS a check. Do folks not realize that every dollar you get in a tax refund (outside of certain items like the Earned Income Credit) is a dollar you lent the government interest free for a year? Considering inflation, not only did you make an interest free loan, but what you get back is worth less than it was when you originally paid it! I’d rather write the feds a small check in April than get a refund, but small refunds means the system is working the way it should where withholdings equal taxes owed.

2. buckmaster1

buckmaster1 Elite Refuge Member

Apollo Beach, Fl, Formerly from Gloucester, VA
    At last someone who understands the system. When you get a refund, you gave Uncle Sam an interest free loan. The reason their refunds are smaller is because they took less out of your paycheck. In case they didn't notice it, their paycheck was just a little bit bigger.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Ducky CPA and JP like this.
  3. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Ha!!! You apparently haven't seen some of stuff suggested by a certain party....:nutz

As for the rest of the post I agree, I don't get it either. People just don't seem to understand how it works.

4. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

The usual tax season surge in observed temporary license plates from “buy here, pay here” car lots has not seemed to be affected in my area.

WHUP ! Hen, goosenazi and dux/24 7 like this.
  5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

How much net taxes did you pay last year. How much net taxes did you pay this year. People (and the press) and focusing on refunds, which went down. They went down because you forgot to adjust your withholding.

Ducky CPA, GUNNERX2 and tcc like this.
  6. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

I'm a Sub-S and I paid 2.3% more this year. Net.

7. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Absolutely in full effect up here. Just started. Doubled the child tax credit. 4 car seats included with e’er ride.

goosenazi and TheDuckSlayer like this.
  8. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Did you net the same as the prior year?

9. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

skittles and stale French fries under the floor mats for the chirren also included

10. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

Jealous. For tax return type money here, the pop-up car lots will give ya an off brand non-Bic lighter and a lightly singed spoon in the glovebox.

goosenazi, pud123 and TheDuckSlayer like this.