Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

Taxidermist Suggestions

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by lvhunter1972, Jan 19, 2017.

1. lvhunter1972

lvhunter1972 Senior Refuge Member

IMG_1609.JPG IMG_1603.JPG IMG_1602.JPG Any suggestions for a taxidermist to take care of this ? Mallard/Pintail hybrid.

DWB5 likes this.
  2. Brad's Birds

Brad's Birds Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Getting opinions from others is fine, just be prepared to filter the opinions through your own personal review of those suggested. Can't say how many times posts have been made requesting if this mount can be "fixed", all because someone took his bird to a "guy my sister's husband works with who does great work for $150......and he gets stuff back in a month....."

Frozen ducks are easy to ship, so don't limit yourself to someone local. Taxidermy.net has a page dedicated to taxidermist listings in the US. Do some research on your own viewing photos, stopping by shops and looking at actual customer waterfowl mounts.....great looking deer head mounts doesn't always relate to a great looking duck mount. Compare mounts to real birds, not just other mounts. You are the one paying and looking at the mount the rest of your life, so look for what you want. Be prepared to wait longer than a month, and pay more than $150.

Nice bird by the way, congrats.

lvhunter1972 likes this.
  3. ratherBhunting

ratherBhunting Elite Refuge Member

Brad is a heck of a nice guy and does good wood he has the only wood duck I've ever shot right now, and I wouldn't send that to just anybody.

lvhunter1972 likes this.
  4. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

I use wings over water taxidermy never had a bad bird come back he has three sprigs of mine now

lvhunter1972 likes this.
  5. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

I have some buddy's that use a person not saying their name "she" usually will do two or three that are ok but still not to my standard and then she will crap one not very good odds 150.00 usually says it all I pay 285.00 a bird but they always look tops no prize of mine every gonna be chanced for less money

lvhunter1972 likes this.
  6. FoulMouth391

FoulMouth391 New Member

For a Mule Duck .....nothing but the best....ship it to Shane Smith at Artistic Compositions

lvhunter1972 likes this.
  7. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

You won't go wrong using any of the sponsors here. All of them have their own style and all of them will provide quality mounts.

lvhunter1972 likes this.
  8. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member

20160101_153441.jpg
    20161214_131556.jpg

Brad's Bird's gets my vote.
    He has treated me well, very fair pricing and does quality work.
    I am somewhat gun-shy recommending people but I've sent a few buddies with their birds his way and the results were quality mounts.

What Mr. Laaker said in his post is true. I sent a redhead to an ol boy not far from here once. For $150 or so, and a one month turn around time, I got the redhead back.....and it promptly was donated to the local DNR office's duck hunter check station....I didnt want the darn ugly thing in my house. Lesson learned.

With a once-in-a-lifetime duck like that, dont take chances.

9. WWR

WWR Elite Refuge Member

Some of the sponsors here are world class taxidermists.

10. Bug Doc

Bug Doc Elite Refuge Member

lvhunter1972 likes this.