Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

Taxidermy Legalities

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by Harliduck, Mar 29, 2003.

1. Harliduck

Harliduck Moderator Moderator

I just wanted to touch briefly on some of the legalities of this craft/artform. Every state has their own laws and there are also Federal laws to contend with. I want to list a few and if some of you seasoned veterans would add some I would appreciate it. The one thing I do not want to happen on this forum is for it to get bogged down on the legalities to the point of ridiculous like other sites but it is EXTREMELY important to know them. Here is a start-

1. It is illegal to make a profit in any way without the proper license. Every state varies, look into it. Profit would include trade as well. You simply can not take a dime without proper license.

2. Waterfowl can not be bought, sold, or traded for. There are game farms that have proper permits to sell waterfowl, but as a hunter you can not. I have seen people on this site offer to trade birds and this is illegal, it must be totally free, a gift.

I just wanted some of the people new to this to know some of the facts before they start posting things without knowledge. I would like others to now add to this so an education process can start.

One more quick note, it is also unnacceptable on this forum to spam, a list of forum rules will be coming as soon as I understand them fully! If you would like to advertise, contact me...

2. timbertiger

timbertiger Senior Refuge Member

I might add that if a person started doing waterfowl even for no charge for someone else you need the Migratory Waterfowl permit from the Federal Government.

I stress this permit has nothing to do with recieving payment. It allows a person to pocess (with the proper paper work) someone elses migratory bird for taxidermy purposes.

timbertiger

3. BRETT McCUTCHEON

BRETT McCUTCHEON Elite Refuge Member

Well Harli, Now that we have a Taxidermy forum, we should all think about what we get here, or in our general areas, that we could gift out to taxidermists less fortunate. I for 1 know how frustarting it can get to try and fill my collection, without having the money to travel all over the Untied States. I also paint, and need these birds 1st hand for reference while painting them.;)

4. Half-Breed

Half-Breed Elite Refuge Member

great idea brett!
    I would be happy to send someone something extra that I had that is not indiginous to their area.

I for one, dont have time to mount my own stuff any more, I can barely make time to do Emily's birds as she shoots them. haha