Teaching a dog to stop using memory?

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by DWB5, Sep 4, 2017.

1. DWB5

DWB5 Senior Refuge Member

Ok. Ill try this. I know its not him. I have just got to a point to where I cannot figure out how to get him to understand what I need him to do. He is the best dog I have ever owned. I'm just trying to get advice on how I need to get him to understand. I have to say once he figure something out he is very solid on it. Thanks for the help.

2. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

Take your time.....don't make these into a "grind" everyday. Balance training out with plenty of marks and use real
    birds (on the marks) if possible. Keep the dog's training in balance. You can "measure" balance by observing the dog's
    energy level. Stop way before running the "one one too many". Moving along slowly with the emphasis on excitement
    and fun while maintaining a high energy level will prove to be faster in the long term.

Once he is running one or two sets of pattern blinds well, you may decide to either to do "walkouts, or "the
    fan" and/or "bird boy blinds".....depends on what the dog needs and you are more comfortable with.

For him to do "what you need him to do" will require incrementally developed skills. Teach them.

DWB5 likes this.
  3. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Get rid of Freddie and get on a PROVEN training program.

4. FieldLabLover

FieldLabLover Elite Refuge Member

Transition requires many reps. They don't automatically understand, but trying to get a dog to understand without using a seamless foundation like watching youtube, means there will be too many holes leading to confusion. Get on a good program. No one can advise you without knowing what you did.

Doc E likes this.
  5. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

:readerthis, & join a retriever (training) club.

6. Brian Stichter

Brian Stichter New Member

Walking baseball is a good drill and I would continue to run some pattern blinds

road kill and DWB5 like this.
  7. Keith S.

Keith S. Senior Refuge Member

How long have you been running cold blinds? When he starts "guessing" or deviating from the line you've sent him on, just handle him. He will likely do this even after you transition from pattern blinds to cold blinds. Let him roll a little as he veers off line, you want him to build momentum and if you try to keep him on a tight line, that momentum will never come. When I started running cold blinds, I would follow him and let him get as much as 25-30 yards off line. I wanted him to build momentum and the closer you are, generally the better cast you get. I would also run blinds in a separate field from marks or run blinds first. The unknowns with cold blinds is enough to make your dog be a little unsure of your casts, don't compound it by throwing marks, then running blinds.

And for the record, Freddie King has trained dogs to an HRCH Doc, I don't think he has ever ran a grand, but there are many good trainers that don't run the grand or MN. I have judged his dogs and ran tests with him and his dogs have done well. I've never watch any of his videos so I can't comment on his material.

DWB5 likes this.
  8. DWB5

I have asked around and cannot find a retriever club around here.

9. DWB5

This could be some of my problems. He is working in the same places that I am running all my other drills with him. He is remebering where all the other bumpers where at and thinking that's where I want him to go. Thanks.