Teal reports

Discussion in 'Louisiana Flyway Forum' started by Duck Enticer, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Steel3's

Steel3's Elite Refuge Member

The September teal season can not open before Sept. 1 or run past Sept. 30. Prior to 1998, we only had 9 day seasons, and we always selected the last 2 weekends of September, no matter the dates. Since 1998, we have had the opportunity for 16-day seasons, and almost always select the last 3 weekends in September for the simple reason that the majority of hunters can hunt the weekends.

But in 2000 and again this year, the calendar sits such that if we open on a Friday and close on a Saturday, we can hunt as late as possible in September ..... for the price of 1 weekend hunt day. In other words, we can move the season 6 days later in the month but lose a Sunday at the end. So that was the consideration. We receive more comments about hunting later, both the teal season and the regular duck season, than any other thing, so it was a very popular proposal when we offered it up last January-April in our Notice of Intent for waterfowl hunting regulations. We did it in 2000 and we are doing it again this year: opening on a Friday and closing on a Saturday for the purpose of moving the season 6 days later.

LDWF does NOT intend to do this every year. Next year, September 30 is a Sunday, so the normal season setting formula gets us both 3 full weekends and the latest possible season. But in the future, we are NOT going to lose 2 weekend hunt days to set the season 5 days later, or 4 days later. This is the only calendar position where we would consider not setting the season for a full 3 weekends. At least that is our attitude right now.

TheDuckSlayer likes this.
  2. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

I've seen huge blue wing migrations in early October whilst fishing, but 16 days is better than 9, so I ain't complaining too much. I agree with y'all's reasoning on the teal season dates, makes perfect sense.

3. jrchip1

jrchip1 Elite Refuge Member

Reports Plz...I'm stranded in the Mississippi Delta. :(:(

4. Steel3's

Well, this is why I should wait until the survey is done and the data are crunched before commenting......

Teal estimate is 373,000, highest since 2008 and well above long-term average of 236,000. Report will be done after lunch.

5. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Wasn't nearly as fast and furious as last year's opener, but we did see a lot of big, very high flights out of the rice and over our marsh and shot our 18. Very mixed, boom to bust reports from other areas. Pretty much like teal season.

6. ericDC

ericDC Elite Refuge Member

Larry you wouldn't have been sweating as much last weekend as you were this morning...

Good seeing you.

7. Steel3's

Yeah, in hindsight ......

Good seeing you as well.

8. Duck Enticer

Duck Enticer Elite Refuge Member

Our opener was okay. Friday got our 12. Mostly ones and twos. Saturday saw more ducks, but very few worked. Tried about 8-10 of the new flickrs and I'm sure the ducks were flaring from them. Pulled the flickers and did better. Got crapped on about 6 times with flocks coming over from behind.

9. ducaholic

ducaholic Elite Refuge Member

Saw 18 teal total on what is normally a pretty good teal lake Friday morning. Water levels extremely high. Killed two and didn't bother to go back. Several reports matched mine in Central La.

10. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Somebody needs to fix this weather before the season fizzles altogether..