Teal season question -- history

Discussion in 'Nebraska Flyway Forum' started by egadwall, Jul 14, 2017.

1. egadwall

egadwall Elite Refuge Member

I haven't lived in Nebraska since the mid-80s, and at that time there was no teal season. In fact, there was no dove season until 1985 or 6, I believe. Some years, the teal were almost gone by the regular season, and others there were a few bluewings and quite a few greenwings around for the early October start.

When did the Feds decide it was ok for Nebraska to have a teal season? I remember that the prevailing feeling was that there were too many young mallards around in September (and woodies, too) and that Nebraska hunters weren't ... sophisticated ... enough to selectively harvest teal.

2. Iowa

Iowa Refuge Member

It happened like 3 years ago, it continues to be a trial season yearly. They have the ability to take it away if too many non species are shot. Nice way to kick off the season though. Bring your mosquito spray.

3. egadwall

egadwall Elite Refuge Member

That new? That's interesting.

I loved early teal season in Colorado. It could get interesting when you shot around 10 am and the early water skiers didn't know you were 100 yards away. You could splash a duck and a skier with one shot.

Mosquitoes were a pain there, too, but I grew up in Michigan. Nuff said!

4. Sorny

Sorny Senior Refuge Member

It's been around for 10+ years in the basin/southern half of the state area. It is only a few years old in the northern/western areas of the state. If there is water teal season is the best!!

5. jzoo

jzoo Senior Refuge Member

In the northern half our 3 year trial period (which did not go well according to sources on here) expired last year. However, since the feds moved the framework for setting season dates up to March, the USFWS did not have time to compile the data of the third trial year so they gave us a fourth (2017) in good faith. I fully expect this will be our last teal season in the North, us folk north of Highway 30 just ain't smert enuff to handle it.

6. habitatman

habitatman Senior Refuge Member

Just got a good rain in the western baisns. If it stays should be good for teal season.

7. Sandhills_fwlr

Sandhills_fwlr Refuge Member

I'm pretty sure we were hunting the early teal season in 2000 or 2001 south of Kearney in the basins. That was towards the beginning of the end of good water cond in the western basins

habitatman likes this.