Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

Teaxs Bird People Seminar Results

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by Wildthings, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Wildthings

Wildthings Elite Refuge Member

Turn out to be a great time !! Met a lot of new faces and throughly enjoyed it. Watching the faces of the newbies when their birds ripped newly in half or when they burned a hole in the skins with the flesher was priceless. Then the satisfaction (or was it amazement?) on their faces when it all came together. :l :l

Long day from 7:30 til we closed the door at 10:00 pm -- enjoyed it Jon thanks for putting it together.

The long distance award went to Randy Walker who drove 12 hours from Missourri to mount a park duck. This mount was going along good until I mentioned: "Randy you do realize the skin is nearly torn in half don't you??" A looooong sewing time later he was ready to put it together and here it is...

Pretty nice for a first mallard

2. GSPmutt

GSPmutt Elite Refuge Member

makes our 3 hour drive look wimpy, it was so worth it tho

3. Wildthings

GSPmutt --- What can I say about Larry Neal? He brought a whole igloo full of ducks and ended up doing a coot!!!

That bird turned out really well, so well in fact I talked him out of an extra coot out of his igloo for myself.

Ahhh the Infamous Coot…..check it out Pretty cool mount Larry!!

4. Wildthings

Casey Ryan aka Hoythitman here on the Fuge did a hen Hooded merganser. :tu

He’s got some experience under his belt and it really shows. :cool: He sat over in the corner and was pretty quiet and when I glanced over at him he was way farther along then anyone else was.

Wish the picture was a little closer so that you could see how REALLY NICE this hen was…

As Jon said: “Casey put us to shame” Great bird Hoythitman

WT

5. Wildthings

Skack you would be proud of your son woodiesmacker. ;)

Steve Morton came in not knowing what to expect with this crowd of older guys and fell right in place. :cool:

His gadwall came out beautifully as a sitting mount cuz he near tore the neck in half while washing it. I know he was tired of sewing when it was all over and done with. :eek:

Good Job Steve
    :tu :tu

6. Wildthings

James Swanzy was a last minute participant, learning about the seminar from Steve Morton on another site. :tu

He came with no bird to mount since we told him there would be extras and to come on we would have one for him.

He did a redhead drake I had extra and it came out exceptional for a first bird. In fact he did such a good job on it I wanted to be an Injun Giver and take it back from him. :dv :dv

What a fabulous bird !!! Hey James this could become addicting huh??

WT

7. HarlequinTaxidermy

HarlequinTaxidermy Elite Refuge Member

did ya forget about....

LuckyDucker and his Mallard
    Randy Miller and his Wood duck
    Robin and his Mallard
    Bill and his wood duck (the headless horseman)
    Ali and his Ringbill
    oh and me.. But that's okay... I was terrified there was going to be pictures of me picking my underwear out my arse posted somewhere.... I'll post up that nasty thing I did a little later when the base work is done. He's still in the freezer until I can reset the eyes.

Jon

8. HarlequinTaxidermy

It was priceless watching the new guys sweat it. Especially Ali.. he was a hoot... worried about all those little pea sized holes thinking it wasn't salvageable.. and then ripping the head plum near off... Sorry Ali.. I just have to sit back and giggle thinking how many times I've been your shoes... but see it all still worked out just fine... Have faith young Jedi.. weilding the needle and thread is an aquired skill..

Hehe..

All in all it was a good day... (a Long Day, but good none the less) and I know the guys were more than ready to go home (actually I think some of them were ready to call it a day around 4 o'clock) but they stuck it out and went home with a nice mount that they more or less did themselves.

Great Job guys.

Jon

9. woodiesmacker

woodiesmacker Elite Refuge Member

im amazed to what looked like a half plucked bird that had been put through a paper schreder turned out to be a duck. i swore this thing would look like crap but ended up looking better than i thought it would. Jon and Barry i apreciatte all of the help you provided me and if you guys do this again please save me spot as id be in for sure. also, i dont believe Randy (guy who did the woodie next to me) is a member here but if Jon or Barry could get me his email i would really appreciate it as id like to thank him for the help. not sure which mount was my favorite of all but it would pry be either Jons harlequin or either of the woodducks. also, Jon i finally got the side pocket on the one side to work after adjusting it for about 1 hour with tweezers. thanks again. :tu

10. HarlequinTaxidermy

Your Gaddy turned out quite nice. Sorry i wasn't able to sit there with ya and coach ya through sidepocket hell.. which you definately had with that one side...I knew it would eventually fall into place.. it would just take some talking too.

Jon

Randy's email is:
    RLMiller@arkansas.net