Tender Quick and Salt question

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by J?ger, May 28, 2007.

1. J?ger

J?ger Elite Refuge Member

ok, I've just started making my own sausage but... if I use one table spoon of Tenderquick per pound and then salt too the sausage turns too salty, do I even have to use salt when I use TQ?

thanks in advance. :tu

2. NJOY

NJOY Senior Refuge Member

I use Tenderquick as the salt in some of my recipes. Eliminate the salt if you are using TQ.

3. J?ger

that's what I was thinking too but some recipes that I have call for both salt and TQ!? this is too salty. I think I will take your advise. :tu

any more info on how to make this process a sucess (i.e. recipes, tips and tricks) would be appreciated fellas. :tu

4. Creedmore

Creedmore Elite Refuge Member

Ali, I didn't notice your missed call until this morning. Sorry I missed ya, Bubba.

If the TQ is a part of your recipe then use it in the amount specified.

If you are adding TQ to a recipe, then subtract this amount from the balance of the regular salt.

If you are eliminating TQ from your recipe, then replace the TQ with salt.

Case in point - I made some andouille yesterday for a Memorial Day get together (same recipe we used this spring) but I didn't need the TQ. So I replaced the TQ with kosher salt. Came out great. :tu

5. J?ger

man I wish we lived a little closer so I can just come and watch you and help you so I can learn more about this. Curing has become a pain for me to understand.

we made some polish and it turned out great but it was too salty because I used both TQ and Salt.

My cousin bought a grinder, first of all is a quiet as they come, second you can grind a whold cow with it in less than an hour :eek: I've been gathering spices and herbs like a mad man, we have a small 5lbs. stuffer but I need to get a 15 pound one too. I need some metal sheets to build a smoke house like yours.

we need to get together again man. :tu

I really appreciate you inviting me to make sausage this spring, I'm defenitely hooked and I've created an even bigger monster out of my cousin... :dv :tu

6. Pine

Pine Elite Refuge Member

tender quick is all you need.it is for curing
    in fact i quit using onion salt and garlic salt and just buy onion powder and garlic powder to add to my recipes

7. J?ger

I see,

how long do you let the meat sit before you case it or do you case it and then let it sit?

thanks. :tu

8. Creedmore

You can do it either way. If you have the time, I would recommend grinding all your ingredients but leave out the water. Let it sit at least overnight, but 24hours is even better. Then add your water and re-mix prior to casing. Reason being is that salt is a binder and your ground product will be *thick* after a day. Add the water at the last minute to make it easy on yourself going into the casings.

That's just the way our Bohemian friends showed us many years ago.

The other tip, is don't use garlic powder. :fp There is no substitute for fresh garlic in a sausage recipe. :tu

9. J?ger

cool, :tu good tips man... this is very exciting. :yes

Gene, but if I'm NOT going to use salt (because I'm using TQ) then I can add the TQ and let the meat sit overnight before casing? or is TQ a binder too and will do the same thing as salt?

10. Creedmore

Happy to help or maybe help you stay you hooked, as it were. ;)

You're worrying me a bit with the TQ talk. TQ should be a very small percentage of the whole salt content. It is salt + sodium nitrate + sodium nitrite. If you only use TQ, that's a helluva lot of nitrates going into your sausage. I don't use any TQ unless there is game meat in there OR if the sausage will be cold smoked.