Tender Quick and Salt question

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by J?ger, May 28, 2007.

1. J?ger

J?ger Elite Refuge Member

but if you don't use TQ what will cure your meat and give it that reddish color even after it's done cooking? most of the meat I'll be processing will be hogs and deer mixture.

2. Mr. Jeem

Mr. Jeem Elite Refuge Member

Salt will cure and turn meat pink. Use only the recommended amounts of TQ or what ever curing mix you have.

3. Creedmore

Creedmore Elite Refuge Member

If memory serves, the rate for making sausage is 1oz of TQ per 25lbs of meat. It don't take a lot to do the job.

Not to muddy the water, but TQ is actually overkill for the sausage that we made, and what you're talking about. TQ is also called Insta Cure#2 or Prague #2 depending on where you get your recipe or order supplies. Prague #2 is for dry cured meat like salami, summer sausage - stuff that cures and dries over months because it contains sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite. Over time, the nitrate breaks down into nitrite to continue the cure.

Technically all you need is Prague #1 which is only sodium nitrite. But I'm lazy and didn't want to have to order Prague #1 when I can get TQ from Kroger's. :D

Have I completely cornfused you now? ;)

4. J?ger

"Ed Zachry"

the only "Prague" I know is in Europe... :eek:

and I called you again yesterday... ;)

5. RW

RW Elite Refuge Member

I've made lots of our own deer sausage and read much about it.I don't know it all but this is what I do know:

After curing I let the ground meat set for 24 hours then re grind thru 3/16th grinding plate just before stuffing cases.

Pork fat is used as a binder, I use 50% lean pork @ 20% pork to 80% of deer meat.

Tender Quick(by Mortons) I believe is one part sodioum nitrite & part sodium NITRATE on a salt carrier, or instacure #1 & instacure #2 + salt.

1) Instacure #1(sodium nitrite) is used for curing anything smoked & cooked in a sausage case or jerky curing.It is no longer in your product after about a week or so.

2) Instacure #2 (sodium nitrate) is used for cold smoking things like hams, or fish etc. it is sort of a time released cure for a 3-4 week period.

The two above use a small amount of salt for a carrier.

If making sausage I would only use sodium nitrite, or instacure #1.
    The instructions say,"one level teaspoon per 5 lbs of ground meat".

My friends have used Mortons "Tender quick" ,but it is way too salty.

Here's a link to the sausage maker Instacure #1 below for more info:

http://www.sausagemaker.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2

6. J?ger

if it's not completely neccessary I might stop using TQ. I'm not too crazy about all the nitrate and nitrite in my food, like Creedmore said I'll use it in salami and cold smokes,,, if I do use it I'll just use very little of it (like if the recipe calls for 6 table spoons of salt I'll do 4.5 salt and 1.5 TQ melt them in water and add them to already grounded meat)...

I thought TQ was the agent that kept the red color and cured the meat and made it stick.

I'm still learning so thanks to you guys who share the knowledge. :tu

7. RW

RW Elite Refuge Member

NO NO... You must use sodium nitrite to cure / kill botchulism! There is one simple rule "if it cannot be cured don't smoke it"!

The sodium nitrite is what turns the meat a bright red, and gets more red while smoking.

I suggest you do some research before you start making your own sausage, so you know you are creating a safe product!

8. Creedmore

Creedmore Elite Refuge Member

Ali Bubba, you knuckle head! :l

Don't cut out the TQ (or Prague#1 if you go that route). You need it to kill the little beasties, like I told you and RW told you. If your product is too salty, cut down on the kosher salt, not the cure.

Now, go and get that book and do some reading. :D

9. J?ger

got it. I was under the impression that "if you can avoid using TQ then don't use it" but now I understand. :tu thanks.

10. J?ger

which sausage stuffer would you get the Cabela's or the "LEM" brand one? anyone!

I wonder if the Cabela's brand one is as good and sturdy as the "LEM"??? :z