Tender Quick and Salt question

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by J?ger, May 28, 2007.

1. Creedmore

Creedmore Elite Refuge Member

I looked at the Cabela's stuffers last year and didn't like them a bit. I'd go for the 15lb LEM or one of the 15lb stuffers from sausagemaker.com. :tu

2. RW

RW Elite Refuge Member

I'd throw the TQ away and use instacure #1 because you do not need sodium NITRATE you only need sodium NITRITE for cooking and smoking stuffed sausage. You can buy all the seasonings you need pre-mixed from some butcher shops or the link I previously supplied to the Sausage Maker. I suggest writing a journal when you make your own sausage. That information is a valuable learning tool for yourself as you learn making your own sausage.

Good luck, but do a lot of research before starting. The sausage maker has a great book on how to smoke,steam & cold smoke(cold smoking you use instacure #2 Sodium Nitrate), many types of meats and is loaded with many reciepes. I'd highly suggest that book as a MUST BUY item.

I use an LEM 3/4 horse grinder and a 5lb stuffer. If you make more than 50lbs of sausage I'd suggest a bigger stuffer. I'd also suggest to buy atleast two large meat lugs for mixing ground meat & mixing seasoning/cure and for grinding meat into.

Link to sausage making book: http://www.sausagemaker.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=413

3. Creedmore

4. J?ger

J?ger Elite Refuge Member

OK,

so I went and bought the LEM 15 lbs. Stuffer, came home and chopped up all the meat I had thawed out (about 18 lbs.) mixed with spices, put them in a container in the fridge for about 9 hours. Spicy Italian but I decieded to add garlic and Paprika to it for better taste and color. woke up early in the morning and grinded the meat and started stuffing,,, everything went well...

EXCEPT,,,
    when the Piston Gasket (the round part that pushes the meat down) gets to the mid-bottom of the Cylinder meat starts to leak out from one side of the Cylinder not the gasket cause I twisted it to see if it's the gasket and it's the front part of the Cylinder... :( I think I remember I saw Auto's or was it Gene's stuffer do that too,, but I can't help but worry after spending $300 on this thing...

is this normal? I was thinking it's because the meat might be getting hard because it's setting or is this normal with these stuffers or do I need to take it back:eek: ???

Please help.

Thanks.

5. Creedmore

Yep, you will get a little bit of leak. No biggie, don't worry about it.

But to minimize the leak, make sure that your piston is screwed on and positioned properly. It is flat on both sides except for one small section on the top (threaded side) that has a lip. Make sure this lip is directly above the stuffing horn. You might not be able to tighten the piston all the way, but that's okay. Just as long as the lip is positioned above the horn. You'll still get some leak, but not as much leak. :tu

I can take a pic of mine put together if you want.

So . . . how did the sausage turn out? :D

6. RW

RW Elite Refuge Member

Just a note: FYI.... I grind all meat 3 times. The first time it is partially frozen thru a 3/4" plate then all is mixed with cure & seasoning well and ground again thru 3/16". Then it sets in 40 degrees for about 24 hours. Then all is re ground through 3/16" plate for the 3rd time just prior to stuffing.

Question Jager: How many times did you grind the meat?

7. J?ger

well, the good news first...

Gene, I know about the lip and I did everything possible to avoid the leak but it kept leaking,,, now it leaked more when the lip was not aligned... The sausage smells so good I can eat it raw... :yes I tried to smoke it in my smoker but it was too warm outside so I quickley picked them back up and froze them, they still got a good smoke smell to'em. I will let them freeze and eat one tomorrow. I think they turned out really good. much better than the ones I made with my cousin a couple of weeks ago... I will say this, for stuffing you defenitely need two people... :l

RW, I grinded once in the chili size and again with a finer size so it's pretty good and fine but (not) too fine. :tu

Now the bad news...
    I was ok with the little bit of leak and the little bit of rust on the outside but after I cleaned and dried everything I noticed a few rust spots/lines in small semi circular shape on the inside bottom of the Cylinder, these were rust spots from the inside and not just the "dust" that builds on metals after a while... so,,,, I took it back :( :cry . I'm going to shop around more and maybe find another one...

Gene if you need an account to purchase from LEM online then I might ask you to buy me one and I'll pay you back when I come to pick it up. but I was not too impressed with this one, I may have just gotten a bad one, since you and Shane are happy with your's.

8. SeniorCoot

SeniorCoot Elite Refuge Member

Just got home from Manitoba so quick answer- I use TQ all the time for brining and sausage- would not and do not use salt also.

9. J?ger

I know to avoid powedery outcome I need more fat but how do I retain the red color?

10. Creedmore

By red color - are you talking about the red color through out the sausage or the aesthetic look of the final product?

Outisde - you get the red color from the smoke, and obviously the length of time it has been on smoke. After sausage is done smoking you need to cool it with a cold water shower or ice water bath. Then let it dry for a couple of hours, hanging if you can. It will "bloom" into a nice reddish brown. :tu

Red on the inside? You should have a pink/red smoke ring inside the sausage that tells you how much smoke penetrated. You won't achieve red throughout the sausage unless it has been smoked for a long period of time or you have used Prague#2 with FD&C Red #5 as an additive - check your wrapper from the grocery store and I'll betcha it's in the list of ingredients.