Tender Quick and Salt question

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by J?ger, May 28, 2007.

1. J?ger

J?ger Elite Refuge Member

well,

The sausage looked great until I cooked one... :( :dv

I added the spices step by step (except I addd garlic and paprika)
    it did not ask for smoking so it did not call for Prague 1 or 2, but to be safe I still added some,,, out of 6 table spoons of salt I added 5 salt and one TQ mixed with water and added to chunk meat before grinding with the rest of the spices...

I tell you it smelled and looked good when I was grinding and stuffing,,, I grilled one lastnight and its

1) Powdery (I know I need more fat for that)
    2) the meat still very much has the (game meat) taste, you can smell the garlic but none of the other spices
    3) it's light brown, not red...:eek:

I guess I'll have to add TQ even if I'm not going to smoke it to fix the color and add a lot more fat to make it sticky,,, but I think it was 70/30 ratio.

2. J?ger

the one I made did not ask for smoking and no Curing either but the product they have is red

3. Creedmore

Creedmore Elite Refuge Member

No smoke = "fresh sausage" (like bratwurst). :tu If you have game meat in there, always use a cure.

You mentioned it was powdery? :confused:

Also, 70/30 ratio . . . 70% pork or 70% venison ?

Over the years, we have experimented and 60% pork, 40% venison, beef, duck, etc. turns out the best. 70 or 80 % pork works well too if you have a bad deer season. :z ;)

4. J?ger

:mad: that's right, if game meat must be cured... I think I need to come and watch up before I waste anymore good meat.

We'll butcher a pig and make sausage in a week or two. I will cure and most likely smoke that one.

You know Gene, if I can get a stand up refrigrator in a garage sale or for very cheap, I can run smoke to it and still "cold" smoke in the middle of summer without worrying about Botulism, keep the fridge running and run the smoke from further away, in from one end and out of the other,,, meat stays cool and smoked.

5. RW

RW Elite Refuge Member

If only making something like bratwurst, Italian sausage or breakfast sausage from any wild game there is no need for a cure because you are cooking at high temperatures which kills all the bad stuff. Before you take a chance of ruining a lot of good meat I highly recomend doing your home work. There is a lot more to making smoked deer sausage or salami than we've mentioned,, Such as Creedmore mentioning above about cooling down, showering and "Blooming". These are all but a small part of many important steps to create a good product. You have to pay your dues before you learn how it's done. Do yourself a favor get a good book on the subject. The book will help greatly ,but you still have to learn the tricks the book doesn't tell you!:D

6. J?ger

well, you're telling me no cure since it will be cooked before eaten and creedmore is saying do cure if it's game meat :confused: :l

7. RW

RW Elite Refuge Member

I think you miss understand him. Creedmoore jump in here if need be.

Here is the one simple rule: "IF YOU SMOKE MEAT IT MUST BE CURED! No matter what kind of meat it is.

"IF IT CAN'T BE CURED DON'T SMOKE IT", COOK IT!

If you are making brats, or any type of meat you cook before eating it does not need cured. Do you really think when you buy a pack of breakfast sausage in the store it's been cured????? CALL ANY BUTCHER SHOP.......

See when you smoke sausage stuffed into a case you are creating perfect enviorment for creating botchulism, temps between 40 & 140 degrees, moisture and lack of oxygen. The cure (Sodium Nitrite) protects the meat FROM botchulism forming during the smoking process. Then you further have reach an internal temperature in the sausage to atleast 138 degrees to kill the trichinosis parasite that is sometimes found in pork.
    Do some research and find out for yourself, like I said there is more to this sausage making than we can explain here.

Jager ,No offense but you'd be better off buying a good sausage making book and a 5 lb stuffer vs a 15 lb stuffer and no book!

BUY A BOOK!

8. sjemac

sjemac Moderator

9. Creedmore

Creedmore Elite Refuge Member

Bingo. :tu

Ali you're just thinking too much, brother. You've seen it done, and done it yourself.

Relax. Don't worry. Have a homebrew. (or sausage in this case). :)

10. RW

RW Elite Refuge Member