Alabama Flyway Forum Sponsors

Tennessee River conditions

Discussion in 'Alabama Flyway Forum' started by JP, Mar 10, 2017.

1. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Was in Florence last week and again noted the large "islands" of milfoil floating around all sides of Koger Island as well as along the bank in huge swaths on the Lauderdale county side. Went to Google Earth and this stuff appears to have infested Pickwick Lake from Seven Mile Island all the way down (~55 miles) to Stateline Island, much as it looked back in the mid 1960's.

Wilson Lake images also showed evidence of it around Town Creek and then upstream on Wheeler Lake something similar was found in the Round Island and Swan Creek WMA locations and in the "shooting gallery" (Harris-Sweetwater Dewatering Area) where the permanent blind drawing is held. Have they discontinued the annual draining of this place and the subsequent row crop plantings?

Looks like the milfoil migrated downstream to these areas from Guntersville Lake.

2. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

it would be wonderful for ducks and duck hunters if the milfoil came back to the levels of the 70s to early 90s on Guntersville, but I do not think it ever will. .... Since then agencies have nuked it every way they can "for navigation and water skiing" and ,miraculously, it still is just hanging on somehow. Unfortunately when the govt nukes the milfoil there are invasive plants that typically fill in where milfoil once was thick;well lets just say the milfoil replacement plants are worthless for navigation and wildlife. Long live the milfoil I say.

3. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Swan is still drained. Planted with milo this past year. Milfoil still isn't an issue on wheeler. Unsure of further down. As mr gadwall said, when you get rid of a native species, something else is bound to pop up.

4. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

The Eurasian milfoil allegedly came from Nickajack reservoir when a bass fisherman (~1958) thought it would improve fishing by dumping the contents of his aquarium into the lake.

5. stevena198301

Point taken. Native wasn't the correct term. Remove native and its still the same thing.

Never heard that about the milfoil. Thanks.

6. stevena198301

And I'd have to say, no one who has ever fished the G would disagree that the grass is excellent for fishing. Compared to Wheeler, it's night and day. MY GOD; Fishing with frogs in the grass around September...

7. mrgadwall

mrgadwall Elite Refuge Member

The TVA lakes in North Alabama aren't exactly "native" either.

8. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

History quiz:

When/where & why was the first dam on the river constructed?

Who offered to buy it?

9. stevena198301

Yeah, I reckon e'erbody knows that. :tu

10. stevena198301

Without googling, I got nothin...