termite questions for the experts

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by baumy, Mar 19, 2015.

1. baumy

baumy Elite Refuge Member

Need some advice. Just bought a house in Florida. Everyone down here has termite control. I have never had to deal with this issue before so I need some advice. Have had several termite control companies out to give estimates. They seem to fall into 2 categories with the difference between them being only $50/ year for subterranean termites.House has been inspected multiple times now and no termite problem exists at this time. Property was given a prevenative treatment of termidor 5 years ago.

Category one with a company such as terminex : you pay a yearly fee. For that they come out at least once year and do a complete home inspection. If they find anything they treat the property with termidor. If they don't find anything, they do nothing until they come out next year for the next inspection. If you have any concerns or problems they will come out when you call and inspect and/or treat as needed, no extra charge.If you ever have termite problems they take care of any repairs.The property was treated with termidor 5 years ago. They say termidor last a long time and they do not retreat unless yo u have a problem. Re-treatment if needed is included in the yearly fee.

Category 2 : They also use termidor. They retreat automatically every 5 years. You pay for the treatment ( which is about the same as the cost of 5 years of the service mentioned above). They do not do a yearly inspection but if you have a problem they come out and retreat. If you have a termite damage they call their insurance adjuster ( 3rd party) and they come out to see how much they will pay for repairs.

So, which one in the opinion of those who deal with termites the route to go ?

2nd question: one company offers a treatment for the attic for "dry wood" termites.The other company does not. 2nd company says that treatment of the attic is a waste since they can only spray about 60% of the attic. Also, since house is all aluminum and vinyl siding and trim there isn't much need for it in our area.

Do you think it is worth treating the attic for dry wall termites or not ? One time cost of $400

Thanks for ay help. Right now I am leaning toward the "terminex" tyle companies but looking for advice from folks who have been there, done that.

baumy

2. cans rule

cans rule Senior Refuge Member

i lived in Tampa, before returning to Maryland... if you have a termidor treatment you should not have a problem with termites. one of my biggest problems living down there is everyone want to take advantage of you and take your money...be aware. i swear i have way more issues with bugs in Maryland than i did in Florida.

also, I used to get a bag of Bug b gone in a hand held spreader and walk around my house perimeter till it was gone early spring and fall. seemed to work well.

3. baumy

baumy Elite Refuge Member

Thanks! Appreciate the insight

baumy

4. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

Read termidor web site, they say stuff lasts 15 years.