Terri Schiavo Tried to Tell Parents' Attorney She Wanted to Live

Discussion in 'World News / Current Events Forum' started by Tom Phillips*, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Tom Phillips*

Tom Phillips* Elite Refuge Member

Terri Schiavo Tried to Tell Parents' Attorney She Wanted to Live

by Steven Ertelt
    LifeNews.com Editor
    March 18, 2005

http://www.lifenews.com/terri12.jpg

Pinellas Park, FL (LifeNews.com) --
    Just before representatives of her estranged husband Michael removed her feeding tube Friday afternoon, Terri Schiavo reportedly told an attorney for her parents that she wanted to live.

Barbara Weller, one of the attorneys for Terri's parents Bob and Mary Schindler, told reporters about her visit with Terri on Friday.

"Terri, if you would just say, 'I want to live,' all of this will be over," she told the disabled woman.

Weller said Terri desperately tried to repeat Weller's words.

"'I waaaaannt ...,' Schiavo allegedly said. Weller described it as a prolonged yell that was loud enough that police stationed nearby entered the hospice room.

"She just started yelling, 'I waaaannt, I waaaannt,'" Weller explained.

At that point, police removed Weller from Terri's hospice room and, later, her feeding tube was removed.

Randall Terry recounted Weller's experience on the "Sean Hannity" nationally
    syndicated radio program.

Meanwhile, another Schindler attorney described the mood of Terri's parents
    after the tumultuous afternoon.

"They're devastated," their lawyer, David Gibbs told Reuters after the tube was removed. "They would change places with her in a heartbeat, if there was any way that they could be the one that's sick and hurting, and give their health to Terri. They're a mom, a dad. ... It's a tough day for them."

Related web sites:

Terri's parents - http://www.terrisfight.org

http://www.terrisfight.org

2. R Waller

R Waller Elite Refuge Member

and we all know an attorney for her parents wouldnt lie... :fp

tubes are pulled out of people in the same shape she is in daily, why is this case being so dominate in the news ?

3. duck scout

duck scout Elite Refuge Member

4. berk

berk Elite Refuge Member

ABOUT LIFENEWS.COM

LifeNews.com is an independent news agency specifically devoted to reporting news that affects the pro-life community. With a team of experienced journalists and reporters, LifeNews.com reaches more than 150,000 pro-life advocates each week via its web site, email news reports, and weekday radio program.

LifeNews.com also acts as a service provider to furnish news content to media that share the pro-life perspective. The topics covered by LifeNews.com include abortion, assisted suicide and euthanasia, bioethics issues such as human cloning and stem cell research, campaigns and elections, and legal and legislative issues.

Formerly the Pro-Life Infonet, LifeNews.com has been harnessing the power of the Intenet since 1992 to bring pro-life news to the pro-life community. We've developed a reputation for fairness, accuracy and timliness in our twelve years of service.

LIFENEWS.COM STAFF

Steven Ertelt - Editor and CEO
    As the founder and Editor of LifeNews.com, Steven Ertelt has provided the pro-life community with news and information via the Internet for more than twelve years. Previously, Mr. Ertelt served as the executive director of Montana Right to Life. Prior to that, he was the public affairs director for Indiana Citizens for Life, where he served as the lobbyist and media representative. Mr. Ertelt holds a bachelor's degree in politics from Hendrix College in Arkansas.

Jim Anderson - LifeNews.com Radio
    Jim Anderson helped start three religious radio stations and is currently with Sacred Heart Radio in Seattle. He worked as an announcer and newscaster for several stations around the Pacific Northwest including KCMS in Seattle and stations in Portland, Seattle and Wenatchee, Washington. Over the last 15 years, Jim has served on the campaign staffs of pro-life gubernatorial and state house candidates in Washington state. He has been a foster parent, a volunteer in prison ministry, and has worked with troubled and homeless youth including youth in crisis pregnancies.

Maria Vitale Gallagher - Staff Writer
    Maria Gallagher has written and reported for various broadcast and print media outlets, including National Public Radio, CBS Radio, and AP Radio. She has covered the Ohio legislature as the statehouse correspondent for Ohio Public Radio and was a news producer at WBNS-TV in Columbus, Ohio. Currently, she serves as the Public Relations Director for the Pennsylvania Pro-Life Federation.

Paul Nowak - Staff Writer
    Paul Nowak previously worked in the public relations department of Franciscan University of Steubenville while studying political science and journalism. Mr. Nowak was a representative of the pro-life lobby's NGO coalition to the Cairo+5 conference at the United Nations. He worked the talent, production and management functions at three different radio stations, and as a cameraman for a cable TV program.

Karla Dial - Staff Writer
    Karla Dial has a long history of writing and reporting. She is currently a contributing editor to Focus on the Family's Citizen Magazine. Prior to that, she was a features staff writer for the Desert Sun daily newspaper in Palm Springs, California. Her work has received awards from the California Newspaper Publishers Association and Gannett. Dial is a graduate of New Mexico State University and has a B.A. in Journalism

Nice source. Almost as unbiased as WorldNet.

5. fgallo

fgallo Senior Refuge Member

Don't yell at me for this but if she is so brain dead that they want to take her feeding tube out why does she follow a person with hear eyes? Is the video they keep showing of her a recent one? I thought brain dead people lay unresponsive? Is she just not able to speak? Maybe she dosen't want to die. Whatever the case it's a terrible thing to have to go through. I understand that people go through this everday but this brings it to the forefront for people to see. If they do want to take the tube out wouldn't it be better to put her to sleep than to starve her to death? I know it's tuff but kinda cruel don't ya think. Just my opinion. :confused:

6. R Waller

R Waller Elite Refuge Member

she has been like that for how long now ?

and who's to say that she wants to live in that state ?

maybe her husband would know ?
    he has spent a tremendous amount of $$ on her care, the parents are acting very selfish, imVho, but considering NONE of us the whole facts, (another way of saying "the truth" ) I think only the husband has the right to decide....legally and ethicly...

once again I ask,
    what makes this case any different from the other dozens of people that are unpuged daily ??

7. Tgrindlay

Tgrindlay Elite Refuge Member

Don't yell at me for this but if she is so brain dead that they want to take her feeding tube out why does she follow a person with hear eyes?

Fgallo:

That is a common muscle reflex. My mother in-law did the same thing when the doctors could not find any brain activity. She was taken off life support and allowed to pass on. Its a tough thing for a family.

8. berk

berk Elite Refuge Member

They also can't reproduce any of the signs that would suggest she is not brain dead (i.e. she may follow an object with her eyes once, but do it several more times and there is no response).

Very sad situation, I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

9. fgallo

fgallo Senior Refuge Member

Thanks Terry for that answer. Do you think that starving her to death is right in your opinion?

10. win4win

win4win Elite Refuge Member

This is a quote from one of the doctors commenting about the situation.....I hope he is correct.

"People think that's a terrible way to go, but that's because they think of starvation as it would feel to them, people who are totally conscious and aware of their surroundings," he said. "In a case like this, however, the patient will feel nothing at first, then will experience renal failure, lapse quickly and painlessly into a coma and then expire. It is actually very peaceful."