Decoy Forum Sponsors

Texas Rig weight question

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by WARTHOG, Feb 16, 2018.

1. WARTHOG

WARTHOG Elite Refuge Member

I am about to Texas Rig all of my floating duck decoys during the off season. I hunt shallow water so I think that 30 - 36" line length will cover me regardless of where I hunt.

Question: Will mushroom, scoop, and J shaped keel grabber type weights work on a Texas Rig or do you need to stick with the egg shaped weights?

I would like to use the weights that I already own if they will work, but if the answer is that I am about to have a tangled mess I will buy the egg weights.

Thanks for your time!

2. yankeegray

yankeegray Senior Refuge Member

I always go with my inseams length. That way I am sure not to go over my waders retrieving my decoys

JoJer likes this.
  3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

The advantage of the egg weights is they slide so easily down the line. Any other types want to bind on the line. I use J-weights, because I hunt in current. If you are a 'unwind and set' guy, use whatever you want. (That's me) If you expect to unhook and toss em all around, go with egg weights.
    If I didn't hunt current, I would use egg weights.

WARTHOG likes this.
  4. bufflehead1

bufflehead1 Senior Refuge Member

I use 8 and 12 ounce mushrooms with no problem. I don't have any trouble with them tangling and the decoys that have 12 have 7' of 400 pound mono, the 8 ounce are of 5'. I crimp the weight in place and let the decoy slide on the line. Crimping the decoy in place and letting the weight slide pretty much defeats the purpose IMO, it takes longer and you have to handle the line.

I think the J weights on texas rigs would be more likely to tangle and hang up.

Billy Bob and WARTHOG like this.
  5. WARTHOG

Thanks for the insight fellas this is what I needed to know! With what you guys are telling me I think I am going to rig most of the decoys with the 4 oz. egg weights. I have enough 6 oz. mushroom weights to rig a dozen or so decoys and I will rig them so that I have a few decoys that can withstand a little river current. Appreciate the help!

6. Cocklebur

Cocklebur Senior Refuge Member

I would shy away from the J Hooks, they tangle from my experience. What others have mentioned is spot on. Good luck:tu

7. Neckband4

Neckband4 Senior Refuge Member

You can buy an electric melting pot and a mold and make your own egg weights. Actually they're shaped more like a torpedo but they work fine on all my texas rigs

8. WARTHOG

That is a great idea because from decades of waterfowl hunting I have a bunch of "old style" lead weights stockpiled that could be melted and reused. I looked around a little this morning on the web and it looks like basic melting pots and 4 or 6 oz. egg molds are going to set me back around $80 - 90. I think you have a great idea if I already owned the equipment, but don't think that the financial math works if I have to purchase the melting and molding equipment. Really good idea though!

9. bufflehead1

bufflehead1 Senior Refuge Member

If you've got a propane burner (turkey fryer) all you need is mold.

WARTHOG likes this.
  10. WARTHOG

That is a pretty good idea that I did not think of. I have an old Turkey fryer that I could fire up for this project! Thanks for the idea.