Texas Rig weight question

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by WARTHOG, Feb 16, 2018.

1. CamoHunter870

CamoHunter870 Elite Refuge Member

I use egg weights on my texas rigs but put the weight on the end and then pound it with a hammer so the weight can't move and then the rest of the directions are like you stated. Only way to go.

Another tip is to make sure your decoys match as far as what side of the keel the loop is on as it does speed up picking up if all the loops are on a certain side of the decoy. For me, I have them on the right side of the keel if you are looking at the front of the duck. I use my left hand to pick up the decoy and then right hand has the carabiner.

Billy Bob likes this.
  2. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

3. WARTHOG

WARTHOG Senior Refuge Member

I have a bunch of lead weights from over the years that I plan to melt and cast. I am leaning towards casting either 5 oz. bank sinkers or 6 oz. mushroom weights for the Texas Rigs. I primarily hunt sloughs and ponds with no current, but occasionally hunt a river that has a current so I am leaning towards casting the 6 oz. mushroom weights for this reason.

Most Texas Rigs use a swivel, but you just run the line through the hole in the decoy keel. This makes total sense to me if you are not using an egg weight that slides up and down the decoy line. What does a swivel do for you if not using an egg weight? Is there a reason to use a swivel when using a bank sinker or mushroom weight? Does the use of a swivel on the keel give the decoy some movement or something else beneficial?

Thanks in advance for the reply.

4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Lines twist in the wind

5. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I didn't say anything about a swivel. There is no need for one. Use a crimp to attach the weight.

Tuleman likes this.
  6. WARTHOG

WARTHOG Senior Refuge Member

I know you did not say anything about a swivel that is why I ask what you are giving up by not using a swivel? I totally understand how you are rigging the decoys and it make a lot of sense to me.

7. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Not giving up a thing, the stiff mono line doesn't twist and the line through the keel isn't tight so there is still motion. You are gaining, simplicity of the rigging and speed in setting up and picking up.

One other thing, the reason I don't rig all of my decoys on the same side is because they will sit at a bit of and angle and catch the wind and move sideways, a LOT of motion there. Don't want them all moving the same direction.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  8. bufflehead1

bufflehead1 Senior Refuge Member

They've been out of stock for about 6 years and when I contacted them, they didn't have any intentions of making them again.

That said, I found one about five years ago. The design of the mold sucks. It gets an air pocket right at the eye of the weight when pouring them and less than 1 out of 3 are useable. I ended up filling the hole you pour into and drilling another between the handles and can get most to turn out right.

Anyone that seriously wants a mold for bigger mushroom weights can expect to pay several hundred dollars for a custom mold.

callinfowl likes this.
  9. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

There are guys on eBay that sell 8 ozer's.

10. JoJer

JoJer Senior Refuge Member

I used a mini muffin tin and a two burner electric hot plate to melt scrap lead I get at the recycler. I made 4 oz for the ducks and 6 oz for the geese. That's still only about a half full mini muffin. I pound a hole in the weight with a nail set, and tie a knot in the 400# mono under the weight and heat the line when I tie the knot to set the knot.
    The crimps in the upper end of the mono are 1/4" pieces of copper 1/4" tubing cut with a tubing cutter. The little "lip" left by the tubing cutter makes the crimp just the right size to fit the mono thru twice to form the loop. I crimp them with an old dull pair of side cutters.
    Made as above, but with 400# mono. When I changed out the trimmer line for the mono, I redid all the weights as described above:
    [​IMG]