Texas Rig weight question

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by WARTHOG, Feb 16, 2018.

1. agtex42

agtex42 New Member

The advantages I see from having a swivel are two fold:

(1) The freedom of movement the decoy has on the water is greater than what you’d see with the line run through the keel. It’s nice on the calm days to take advantage of every little bit of wind, and in the current/gusty stuff you’ll have less issues with the decoys not riding well due to an unbalanced anchor.

(2) Deployment/Retrival can be less frustrating because the swivel has less friction on it than a keel-through setup, I use 400# mono on my rigs and it’s nearly impossible to get them tangled up. In the rare chance it happens a few rigorous shakes and all is well again.

It’s pretty cheap to rig up a swivel setup by using a split-ring to attach them to the keel. I’ve been running mine this way for the past four seasons with good results! Weights will depend on your water depth and bottom composition, with a 36” drop I can’t imagine you’d need more than 4 oz. I ran 6’ drops with 8 oz hunting the rivers back east and the TX coast on 4’ drops with 5 oz (pyramid molds on all).

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  2. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

A strand of mono running through the hole in the keel doesn't need a swivel, there is nothing binding at the connection point.
    using a swivel there makes zero sense unless you are planning on changing out the weights and lines for deep water hunting.

bufflehead1 and Billy Bob like this.
  3. camano gibby

camano gibby Senior Refuge Member

Bought egg weights that had a big enough channel that allowd them to slide freely from grateful lead co.
    Bought 400 lb line and crimps from SNL co,
    Both outfits are user friendly and reliable

Gibby

4. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

The only reason I use swivels on mine is so I can easily swap out lines. I don't have the pleasure of having different rigs for different water depths and found it easier and cheaper to just swap out lines based on where I'm hunting.

5. agtex42

agtex42 New Member

Yall make a good point about the ability to swap out the lines with a swivel, it's not something I've needed to do on a regular basis and hadn't thought much about that aspect of the rig. I could see how friction at the keel may not be as much of a concern with a heavier mono (or any other line that was not prone to developing memory during storage/transit). One of the primary reasons I went with swivels on my drops was due to having issues with a friend's keel through setup that used a pvc coated cable instead of the thicker mono.

6. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

The other good thing about the line through the keel method is drier hands, with a carabiner you don't even have to touch the line. I believe the acronym is KISS and I live by it.

bufflehead1 likes this.
  7. WARTHOG

WARTHOG Senior Refuge Member

I used Texas Decoy Co. coated cable, swivels, made 5 oz. bank sinkers from a mold, and made the length between crimps 42". This will more than cover the depth of water that I hunt. I used the swivels because (1) they came with the kit and (2) so that I can change out rigging. BTW the folks at Texas Decoy Co. are great to work with and the customer service is awesome.

8. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

That would be the only reason for swivels. :tu I'm lucky having enough decoys for full spreads of each species rigged different ways. The cost of rigging 50-60 dozen decoys buying those rigs from rig em right or similar is :eek:. Money I could spend on more decoys. :z :l

9. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

Agreed it would be way too much money to buy from rig em right or someone similar. I make my own, including the weights. I think I did 10 dozen for under 100 bucks if I remember right. I still have lines floating around guess it's time to buy more decoys haha.