Decoy Forum Sponsors

Texas Rig weight question

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by WARTHOG, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Bottomland hunter

Bottomland hunter Senior Refuge Member

Have any of you tried taking a swivel and putting in on a short loop and putting your loop on the bottom of the swivel ? Then loop the loop through the keel hole and drop the weighted side through the loop and let it act as a clip ? I was curious as to how it held up or if the plastic sawed it into ?

2. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I melt my lead in an old 2-quart sauce pan over a Coleman single burner (white gas) camp stove. Made hundreds of weights that way.

3. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Same here but I didn't raid my wife's cookware to get the pan, I found one at the thrift store. I plead the fifth on the muffin tins and measuring cups though.

4. frankman

frankman Senior Refuge Member

We’ve had really good luck using weed eater line instead of mono, no memory at all, some are going on 5 yrs with no failure

5. Bottomland hunter

What thickness and brand ? What size crimps did you use ?

6. frankman

frankman Senior Refuge Member

I believe it was .065, we had a do it egg sinker mold that makes 6 or 8 oz egg sinkers, we used the biggest line you could put through hole in the weight, the crimps were aluminum cable crimps, the ones you smash down, I do remember they came off ebay

7. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

Gator line .100 grey in color and like above get the crimps off eBay just look for decoy crimps. As for weights I use scrap donuts off our guy breakers we use on poles at work they usually get thrown in the trash.

8. Bottomland hunter

I may have to try that ! The only down fall is you can't get as much bulk for the price .

9. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

Oh yea look on eBay I got like 800 ft of line for like 50-60 bucks crimps are about the same bulk on eBay and I think they are better quality than the ones you buy from bass pro