Thank you Alaska

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by Blindman, Aug 29, 2008.

1. wigeonmeister

wigeonmeister Elite Refuge Member

It is also equal to 1/5th of the land mass of the lower 48, therefore more infrastructure is required. There is also a much more racially diverse populace than what you enjoy around Chicago. Name any ethnic group you may wish to, and you will find them in AK, in addition to some you've never dreamed even existed. Getting an 80-90% approval rating out of that crowd is very telling about an elected official in that state.

I lived in AK when Palin was elected. No one could figure out how in the world she ever beat a GOP incumbent and former 3-term senator, as well as a heavily favored state senator in the primaries, then turned around and beat a former 2-term governor in the general election. She was, after all, ridiculously outspent by her opponents in both elections. As it turned out, that was by and large exactly why Alaskans voted for her. It was a mandate she took seriously.

As for Wasilla, it's grown rather considerably over the past 10 or so years. In fact, there was serious consideration given to moving the state capital to Wasilla from Juneau in recent years. Knock being the mayor of a town "of less than 10,000 people" if you wish, but you're not going to hear the whole story from Keith Olbermann or Wolf Blitzer.

2. DarrenDuck

DarrenDuck Senior Refuge Member

No, I am an avid duck hunter.

I was just looking for some answers on why this person is qualified to be a heart beat away from the president.

Unforntunately all I got was a bunch of personal attacks and no answers on her qualifications. So I guess there isn't an answer.

I think strategically she was a great pick based on her conservative beliefs but not her qualifications. I guess we will see what each state has to say and the final electoral college vote is on Nov.4

OK - good luck to you this hunting season! :tu

3. wigeonmeister

Darren,

I gotta ask this. In your own humble opinion, what actually "qualifies" a person to be "a hearbeat away from the presidency"?

I believe that some of the guys on this forum tried to answer your question.

4. gadwall52

gadwall52 Elite Refuge Member

membership in the democratic party :mad:

5. Ray

Ray Senior Refuge Member

Umm..you mean that the Japanese have gotten permission from the NRC to build and install their little billion dollar 4S gizmo out there? I don't remember the Daily Snoose or the News Minus publishing any completely freaking out articles, or the huge Greenpeace rallys trying to stop it. So I am thinking the Galena Machine is still just on the drawing board. 5 minutes on search engines confirms that it was never permitted by the NRC. Permit not even applied for it appears.

We do have a military reactor locked up at Fort Greeley behind a lead door in a shop building. Cleanest room on any military base in Alaska that I have ever been in. Our own Yucca Mountian.

There also is a small generator at Indian Mountain that powers a data comm system. A forest fire there a decade ago had them completely freaking out and a huge response as put in play to put the fire out.

But an actual nuke system powering a town. Nothing yet.

6. TBinKodiak

TBinKodiak Senior Refuge Member

Darren,
    So our Senator is going to trial for supposedly getting $250,000 off his home. Yet your senator Obama gets $300,000 off his house by his crooked friend Rezko and no investigation, nothing. Why aren't you liberals screaming in the street. :fp
    Biden and Obama both voted FOR the bridge to nowhere. If you want to compare apples to apples, Biden's from Delaware with a population of 850,000 and the biggest city is only 75,000. You can fit over 263 delawares in Alaska. Not to mention he isn't a saint when it comes to pork projects that stink far worse than Ketchican's bridge to their airport.
    http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/23/biden.earmarks/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

7. wigeonmeister

There ya go, TB, but don't let the facts get in the way.:clap:clap:clap

8. DarrenDuck

In the interest of keeping this discussion factual...

I guess this is the same as Palin claiming Alaska supplies "nearly 20 percent of the U.S. domestic supply of oil and gas.” It is closer to 7.5%.

This is what the "Energy Information Adiminstration - Official Enregy Statisitics from the U.S. Government"

http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/nuclear/page/at_a_glance/states/statesil.html

is publishing (no nukes in Alaska):

U.S. Nuclear Power Plants by State Plants

Alabama
    Browns Ferry
    Farley (Joseph M. Farley)

Arizona
    Palo Verde

Arkansas
    Arkansas Nuclear One

California
    Diablo Canyon
    San Onofre

Connecticut
    Millstone

Florida
    Crystal River 3
    St Lucie
    Turkey Point

Georgia
    Hatch (Edwin I. Hatch)
    Vogtle

Illinois
    Braidwood
    Byron
    Clinton
    Dresden
    LaSalle County
    Quad Cities
    (...the list goes on)

9. DarrenDuck

Vetting by the national media and judgement by the citizens once they know that information.

McCain, Obama, Biden, Clinton all went through the gaunlet. Regardless of how baised you think the media is - people want to know everything there is to know about the candidates.

She is being handled and has yet to hold a press conference. Her interviews, three of them, have not been great. It wouldn't usually matter but McCain IS 72.

10. bigreid

bigreid Moderator Moderator

I will take my chances with McCain/Palin, thanks. Obama has so much more experience I might be stupid for voting that way, but time will tell.

Maybe I am reading too much into your anti-Palin posts, but tell me why Obama is so much more qualified to be President than Palin is to be Vice-President with a chance to be President?