Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

That's a wrap...2016-'17 in pics

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by Il. MudDuk, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member

Its 30 degrees outside and raining (not a good combo), all but the south zone is closed and I have no place to speak of to hunt "late" geese...I think I'm done til Cons. Order snow goose.

As usual, thanks to those that invited me, whether I could go or not, and thanks to those that made it out with me and provided breakfast and fine company.

Per my log book, I made it out 35 times including one trip for teal. I realize, going thru my pics, that I made it out "enough", though not as much as usual, and that I should've appreciated the season a bit more than I did. It started off slow, remained pretty slow, and just really never "happened" in ref. to seeing a number of birds. As slow as it was, I miss it already.

My one teal trip
    DSC01824.JPG

Drew early one morning before shooting time
    DSC01825.JPG

Amanda and Drew with a fish stick we got (not sure why some pics are smaller than others...its a common merg)

20161126_094340.jpg

2. Il. MudDuk

DSC01827.JPG
    Forum member "PJN36" (above) and our very own "Skycarp" (below) both cooking breakfast....damn fine breakfast's I might add. Neither are very good hunters, but can cook like no other !
    DSC01828.JPG

The local biologist made it out once. If it wasnt for him, I wouldnt have seen the two cans come in as I think I was staring off into space on this very slow day. This guy knows his stuff. Very smart individual with a lot of drive and care for the resources.
    DSC01831.JPG

A quick (45 min.) limit for myself
    DSC01830.JPG

PJN36 likes this.
  3. Il. MudDuk

JoeKool ( doesnt post here much anymore ) and his dad on a fun day.
    Two very, very nice guys (but dont ask them what happened the 2nd day they hunted with me when a snow goose was only 35-40 yards away)....
    DSC01834.JPG

My banded Canada. Banded near Churchill, Manitoba Canada three years ago

DSC01833.JPG

Ron and I
    DSC01835.JPG

First limit out of the new blind (not "new" as in a new spot, but newly rebuilt due to damage by last December's high water/flooding)
    DSC01826.JPG

4. Il. MudDuk

Are we:
    A) making deer head soup?
    B) making head cheese sandwhiches?
    C) sampling for CWD ?
    20161122_125102.jpg
    A little Ross goose that came in all by itself. It was a nice bird, and I thought of having it mounted, but it started to rain and got all wet and in "not so good shape" after that. I wish I had a better pic of it as it was a nice, nice bird.
    20161128_074400_001.jpg

Speaking of snow geese, heres one that Brad of Brad's Bird's Taxidermy of Godfrey, IL did for the office.
    Great work by a very nice guy.
    20161214_124800.jpg

20161214_131556.jpg

BDW likes this.
  5. Il. MudDuk

PJN (on the right) and his nephew Larry and buddy Chris with a couple ringnecks.
    It was 4 degrees when we launched the boat this day and I am still trying to thaw my toes out.
    20170108_131534.jpg

A chilly December morning, being in a duck blind with a duck, cold Mountain Dew and a bag of chicken gizzards one of your employees bought for you.....what more can a grown man ask for ???
    20161201_093449.jpg

This was a fun day with a buddy. As a gracious host, I let him shoot the three ducks. When a flock of snows came by, we managed three ( I should've doubled up like he did )
    20161206_104027.jpg

6. Il. MudDuk

*** EDIT:
    I almost forgot...a few of you mentioned last year to try the "Blue Boar" near Anna, Il.....we made it there this year. Very good food and great scenery with all the mounts they had. Thanks for the intel about that place

My first born got her first hunting license this year. As usual, I looked forward to our annual Union County trip for a loooong time.
    We made it down the night before the youth hunt and hunted two of three days.
    For being a sick (cough, snot, fever) little girl, she made me proud by sticking it out those three days (she slept the first night for 15 hrs or so, so we didnt hunt the 2nd day of the trip).
    DCFS would not honor my "Father of the Year" request if they knew how sick she was and still on a hunting trip with her old man.

Like I posted in the Union County thread, she missed a goose.....a very, very close goose. Thats all I'll say about that close, very close, goose incident. We did manage a hen mallard but that was it in two days.....a hen mallard that cost about $400 after gas, hotel, food, food, and food etc. That little girl of mine can flat out eat !
    20161228_121601.jpg

For the third year in a row, "Cookie" the cat tagged along. Like other cats, it contributed nothing....
    20161228_112026.jpg

Passed out on the 2nd hunt day. Didnt matter, we saw almost nothing
    20161230_084818.jpg

When she woke up, she was some what disappointed in the lack of ducks, so she made a voo-doo doll to punish those that kept the ducks away. Now, some may say that gun safety, respect for the resources, good ethics and such are the most important things to teach new or young hunters....NOPE ! The first rule is to NOT pizz off the duck gods. Hopefully, being young, she gets a pass for making the doll and the duck gods forgive her...

20161230_101515.jpg

Hopefully next season gets here quick.
    Thanks for looking.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    riverrat47 and Skycarp33 like this.
  7. Skycarp33

Skycarp33 Elite Refuge Member

Always great to see your year end report! I Have to be good at cooking breakfast when 3/4 of the time you hunt nothing flies! Thanks again for the invite!

Great pics and awesome memories with cookie the cat and the voodoo doll and a story about a close goose you two will have to share for years! The Blue Boar gets two thumbs up!

Il. MudDuk likes this.
  8. PJN36

PJN36 Senior Refuge Member

The answer is "B" and thank god I was cooking or we would have been eating deer head cheese sandwiches with a side of gizzards.

I enjoyed the time we shared together even though the ducks did not cooperate.

Skycarp33 and Il. MudDuk like this.
  9. Il. MudDuk

OK, this one didnt come thru earlier and is not the best one I have but I cant get the other to go thru....
    Photo courtesy of the biologist in the pic above. I wasnt in on this aerial survey though it would've been cool to be a part of it and to see what they saw this day.

This reminds me of a joke I heard a while back (slightly improvised to fit this pic)....

A guy is working his dog when a stranger drives by.
    The guy pulls over and says "Wow, your dog really knows how to retrieve".
    The dogs owner says "Thanks, and he's smart to....he can count ducks".
    "B.S." says the other guy, "There's no way he can count ducks".
    The dogs owner says "Its true. Watch this. Rex, go to the pond and tell me how many ducks there are"
    Ol Rex comes back 5 minutes later and barks twice. "See? He says there are two ducks on the pond"
    "Wow, thats amazing" says the other guy.
    "Rex, go to the lake and tell me how many ducks there are".
    Rex goes out for 15 minutes and comes back and barks 10 times. "See, he's telling us there are 10 ducks on the pond".
    "Rex, go to the river and tell us how many ducks there are".
    Rex comes back 30 minutes later and barks 50 times.
    Rex's owner then says, "Rex, go to Union County and tell me how many ducks there are".
    Rex goes out but takes an hour to get back. When he does, he's hobbling along, looking a little worse for wear, and carrying a stick.
    Rex's owner says, "Rex, how many ducks are at Union County"? and Rex goes crazy shaking the stick every which way.
    The bystander says "He's crazy! I KNEW he couldnt count ducks !!"

Rex's owner says "B.S., he's not crazy. He's saying there are more God damn ducks at Union County than you can shake a stick at !!"

Some of 67,000 birds that were in the area at one time. See the one on the right thats banded ?
    Union_County_grassy_lake_3.jpg

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    BDW likes this.
  10. dukkalr

dukkalr Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

always look forward to your season pic review,,, you was only in one pic so it wasnt totally ruined:p,,,,,,,,do you ever get to go up in the plane with the biologist??