Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

That's a wrap...2016-'17 in pics

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by Il. MudDuk, Jan 13, 2017.

1. sno

sno Refuge Member

Thanks for sharing
    Every season has it memories..........almost always good
    Time together with your daughter....excellent!

2. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member

Thanks Rick.
    In the one pic of Amanda, she's got your pink call around her neck but you cant see it.

No, I havent been up since last Feb. 1st when we counted just geese and swans. I'm allowed to go, but other work commitments, etc usually puts that idea/chance to the way side. Apparently the biologist doesnt know until almost the last minute if they can even fly due to temps, cloud cover and such.
    I did enjoy the trip last year, but its a looong day in a little plane where I cant pee, smoke, or even roll down the window. If the plane didnt get above 10 feet off the ground, I would ask to go more but them planes go way to high for a guy thats afraid of heights !

3. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

errr....I could be wrong, but that mounted snow goose looks a lot like a swan.......

ixkaped2 likes this.
  4. bang you'r dead

nice pics and great memories.

5. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member

Bang,
    it was a very expensive snow goose for the guys that shot it (and to be honest, they are nice guys who made a mistake but that is best left to them, law enforcement and the courts)....a long, long story that happened a couple years ago.

6. dukkalr

dukkalr Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

smoke??:fp:fp:fp,,,, well you are talking about cigarettes, right:dv:dv

7. bang you'r dead

It happens. I heard some geese flying low towards me one morning along the side of a lake. I was surrounded by fairly high cattails, and I could hear the birds honking and coming closer, right out of the low sun , and would pass over my head in a few seconds. At the last second, I stood up and could see the outline of a goose directly in line with the sun and I slapped the trigger.....oops. Broke one of the cardinal rules of hunting. I didn't identify my target properly, and I smacked a cormorant as it went over. The geese passed to my left at about 20 yds but I was too stunned to take a shot. Didn't know what to do, but I had seen coyotes on the way around the lake, so I knew mother nature would take care of it, but I've always felt bad about that one. Ten years later, I nearly did the same thing with a swan that was flying low off of a roost, where I had been pounding snow geese all morning. Nearly identical situation, but I waited until I could clearly see the bird before I pulled the trigger, thank goodness. Lesson learned.

I did watch a hunter shoot a seagull down at Oak Hammock Marsh. I was watching some pathetic shooters (can't call them hunters) who were being guided by a local outfitter. I could hear the guide yelling "No...No..." and then watched the seagull come down out of the sky. Best shot the guys made all day. I saw the guide later that day and asked him about mounting the "American White Goose". Awkward moment for him to say the least. Never did like him.

Il. MudDuk likes this.
  8. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Bang, even a coyote has standards. I bet that cormorant just rotted.

9. dvegas

dvegas Senior Refuge Member

Awesome pics and post!

10. greenheadIL

greenheadIL Elite Refuge Member

Looks like a good year to me. Thanks for posting the pics always enjoy them.