The 10,000 decoy goose spread

Discussion in 'Colorado Flyway Forum' started by Goose Pimp, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Gander D. Bander

Gander D. Bander Elite Refuge Member

Your right Scooter it would be one for the books!! I would love to see it happen! Hell I would come up and film it... I can drink and film :l
    As far as your revenge goes ..You'll get it in October! We'll mop um up ;)

2. duck911

duck911 Senior Refuge Member

Gander,

This sounds like fun... and I think I have the answer:

Minimum 500 rag or windsock "buy-in" and you MUST have an X'Land'r or Eliminator blind to lay in.

If 1 guy can't hide himself in a layout blind surrounded by 500 rags, he's an idiot and probably won't own that minimum amount of gear anyhow.

So for example, at the very least you'd have 10 well hidden hunters over 5,000 rags. I think that would work great and some guys will have more decoys anyway.

I can come up with 500 rags and I also have a few dozen windsocks, 5 dozen dark goose shells, and an X'Land'r blind. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

--Scott (Duck911)

3. ColoDuk

ColoDuk Elite Refuge Member

the Texas spread is going to me mostly Rags im guessing, if you allow rags then you could get your 10,000 but other wise it would be tough with just Northwinds

4. wkochevar

wkochevar Senior Refuge Member

I have to agree with gander, and that's why i mentioned earlier that this will never work without a well thought out plan. If you have 10 guys show up and just start plunking dekes in the ground and don't have specific shot rules in place it's going to end up being one huge cluster @*%!. Dekes can be seperated by open spaces, that many birds would not be in one big huddled mass anyway. The bigger problem is everyone knowing when to shoot and when not to. That large of a spread should easily accomodate 10 hunters even in a single line upfront (which is preferable for safety sake), then you adjust according to the birds. maybe you break the hunters up into smaller groups in the spread and assign a knowledgeable"pit boss" to each group. if the birds fly over that group in range, the boss calls the shot and so on and so forth. obviously not every hunter is going to get a crack at every flock. hell, that dosen't happen in 1000 deke spreads. Just some ideas to kick around.
    Kip

Extreme...I may see you in MO, I've been invited, but haven't decided if I'm going yet. Depends on what the weather does in the next 7-10 days.

5. Tom Busby

Tom Busby Guest

I bet if you get a front in loader and dig a big hole and put 10 guy in it. You must designate a pit boss. This will only work on private land.

6. xtremefowler

xtremefowler Senior Refuge Member

Wykochevar, I would like to meet you but don't think I am going to make the big one in MO. Plus if you are worried about the weather I don't think you are going to be going because it is supper cold and alot of snow forcasted for Ks and parts of Mo so I am sure it is going to slow down the migration.

7. ColoDuk

ColoDuk Elite Refuge Member

i got an idea for keeping **** separated, if anybody could get a hold of a those survey flags and then you could encompass your spread from everyone elses and then there would be a visible line, you would have to think of a color that wouldnt spook the birds and would also blend in and be noticible for picking up the decoys

8. wkochevar

wkochevar Senior Refuge Member

xtreme...yah, I know, It's not looking good for that area. i 'm supposed to be out there on the 13th and possibly stay for the "Big Setup", but 8-10" inches of snow on the ground isn't going to draw many birds to the area. we'll just have to see what happens.
    Kip