The 16 Gauge, an inconvenient truth

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by JP, Nov 10, 2017.

1. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

All those guns and no 16? Apparently you are really handicapping yourself.

2. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

You're probably right but to be honest, I've never been exposed to many 16's. I'd like have one in a SxS or a jap made Auto 5.

3. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Manufacturers did have a role in killing it. Go grab a rem 1100 in 16 and tell me what you think.

Compare that gun to an 11-48 or 58 or model 11 or 31 (I think that is the pump prior to an 870).

It probably wasn't as malicious or as direct as, "hey, let's kill the 16ga by building a 12 and just boring a smaller hole in the pipe," but probably a cost cutting measure that dropped another shovel full of dirt on it in its hole.

And steel. Screw steel and the hard non-tox stuff. 1 or 1 1/8 of 6's is a duck killer in lead.

4. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

If as many have stated if the factories didn't hold 16 gauge velocities/pressures back steel is a very good option in the 16, those 15/16 oz loads become killers if you load them up to 1550 fps.

5. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

Those 15/16 ounce loads work well for me at 1375. But I always liked the slower velocity shells myself.

6. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

I hate it not only from the anemic loadings in 16 standpoint but also from the fact it obsoleted a lot of nice guns due to their barrels not being able to take it.

I hunt my old gun with steel because it is a fixed mod and is of no real value. If I blow out the choke or bike the barrel so what, I'm going to keep hunting it nonetheless.

7. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

Sort of how I am with my old Auto 5 Belgian mag 12. I still shoot the original barrel, though tapped for a Carlson tube. I shoot only #2's and smaller and have for nearly 20 years, with no negative effects. If it ruins it tomorrow, then it's done more shooting than most peoples duck guns. I'll either replace it with a Jap invector barrel or a Wadlock.

8. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

As I said previously...
    THIS was the factor that stopped the ammo manufacturers from advancing the round, and stopped the gun manufacturers from releasing more guns in this loading. Even aside from all the rounds shot in Trap and Skeet, plus Sporting Clays, most guys like to practice with the guns they shoot in competition. The 16 was excluded. The audience was lost.
    "Dad, I want to start shooting in Skeet shoot, and I want to use a 16ga."
    "Well, Son, they don't allow a 16ga anymore."
    "Oh, well, then how bout a 20ga, and next year, maybe a 12ga."
    "Smart thinking there, Son."
    (This scene played out all over the world)

9. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

I don’t think it’s a single entity or group, it was the clays AND the manufacturers. Why is debatable, but BOTH dealt blows to the 16ga.

10. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Think the point of the conversation is the way a lot of people look at things. IMO as shot gunners I feel we are getting shortchanged so to speak by the factories/manufacturers. Even if you throw the 16 gauge in we basically have 6 gauges of shotgun to choose from for our hunting or shooting, then the manufacturers decide to limit that even further by limiting the choices to basically 12 or 20 gauge and if you want to scrounge up ammo or make your own you can shoot the 10,16, 28 or .410 gauge.
    Meanwhile there are literally hundreds of rifle caliber choices on the market and it seems every other month someone is coming out with a new better rifle cartridge that goes 50 feet faster and 50 feet further than the last one introduced to the market.
    If anything we should be screaming at the factories for limiting our choices or at least saying why is it you can come up with new rifle calibers so often and can't even keep 6 shotgun choices on the market???
    My Rant !!

ALMODUX and Billy Bob like this.