The 16 Gauge, an inconvenient truth

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by JP, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Interesting , were there not only 1 oz loads being used in this driven shoot ?

2. stephen brown

stephen brown Senior Refuge Member

What irony? Post is a fallacious argument.

3. Fishun Injun

Fishun Injun Senior Refuge Member

I shoot my '53 vintage A-5 with a vented poly-choke a lot for doves and Wood Ducks. GOOD 1-1/8 ounce loads are available from Fiocchi and Rio....even have #5 lead for the woodies. A warden would have to be damned determined to get to us in some of the holes we hunt here in Alabama!! ABLE AMMO is who I order them from. As the late Jack O'Connor always said "A 16 shoots like a 12....and swings like a 20"....Yes Indeed!!

Sunklands and 10GAGENUT like this.
  4. NW BIRDHUNTER

NW BIRDHUNTER Senior Refuge Member

One bad thing about the 16 was no 3" shells. It would have been much more efficient with steel shot with the 3" chamber. I like the 16, however shells are expensive and limited offerings from the ammo manufacturers.

5. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I think he really said, "A 16 shoots like a 20 and carries like a 12."

We're talking about lawful waterfowling here.

6. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

RE: OP, the original premise was the supposed superiority of the 20 gauge 3" magnum. That specious argument is debunked every time a shooter fires the 16 gauge after trying a 3" cartridge in a 20 gauge.

Vahunter likes this.
  7. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Old Peters Cartridge catalog showing 16 gauge offered in 2 3/4", 2 7/8 " and 3" loadings.
    oldpetersshells.jpg

8. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

So, NWB is wrong; there WAS a 3" 16ga offering! (I think that came as a surprise to many of us)
    However, there hasn't been a 3" 16ga offering in well over 60 years, so it would be correct to say there ARE no 3" 16ga offerings.
    Which is the only thing that has relevance to any of us.
    Someone killed a pheasant or a duck (or several) with a 16 gage. Okay.
    I killed a mallard duck with my Daisy Red Ryder when I was a kid. Does that make the BB gun a good choice for a waterfowling gun? Anecdotal evidence is always interesting but seldom persuasive.

9. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

I've never felt like I had a good enough duck hole, that I could use my Auto 5 20 gauge magnum and kill as many ducks as with my Auto 5 12 gauge magnum. I do use the 20 when I hunt the woods and shoot it some at first light while in the rice paddy. 80% of my field shooting is done with a 12 and the other 20% is split between a 20 and 10 gauge. If I had the kind of hole that's what I call a natural duck hole, then I'd probably finish the season with more ducks and I'd use the lovely handling Auto 5 20, exclusively. We eat a lot of waterfowl in my family so, shooting a gun just because it's unique is not what I'm after. On the other hand, I do have some deer hunting area that is, in my opinion excellent, therefore I hunt with recurve and longbows.

10. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

See post #106.