The 16 Gauge, an inconvenient truth

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by JP, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I like all shotgun gages.
    I prefer to shoot only certain ones.

2. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

My father had one. A Remington semi auto. I remember the day he threw it into Wanderers Creek outside Odell Texas and we drove to Vernon where he bought the 12 ga 870 that sits in my house today. I never forgot that sage advice I received as a 7 year old. :l

3. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

Throwing any Remington semi into a creek has zero to do with what gauge it was supposed to shoot. Missing with a 16 would also have zero to do with it not being a 12. Preferences are preferences. Preferences aren’t validation of much to anyone but the one with the preference. We are all merely nuts behind a trigger, some looser than others. ;)

Tuleman, Vahunter, JP and 1 other person like this.
  4. BAR

BAR Senior Refuge Member

I have a variety of 16 gauges, and magnum 20’s, and it’s been my experience the 16 gauges do you have a better shot pattern than the magnum 20’s.
    I find 16 gauge shoulders better and has more manageable recoil for a better second shot opportunity than most 12 gauge frames.
    As for finding ammunition for A 16 there is a place here in Tulsa Oklahoma called Sports World that carries a variety of ammunition for 16 gauges, heck even Bass Pro has been caring more ammunition for a 16.

A154338A-B429-415C-B34E-FA4A949C1BC4.jpeg CD3A3ACA-9497-4809-8207-968865A200CB.jpeg 735C8D14-E500-4712-8FB4-F920659D6538.jpeg

Sunklands likes this.
  5. Tuleman

For all you 16 gage aficionados, you now know that you can get ammo in Tulsa, Oklahoma. :tu

6. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

With a bore diameter of 16 balls the same size sounding to be , more effective , a larger shot size hits harder , right ?

7. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

I've bought it at the Cabela's in Kansas City, in Mitchell SD, at Scheel's in Sioux Falls, SD and the Cabela's in Rogers, AR...for starters.

What I haven't been able to buy is a 3" magnum 20 gauge pattern that is better than my 16's.

8. Tuleman

..and probably won't be.
    Pretty sure you can buy 20 gage ammo that will pattern every bit as good, though....but, then, that's not the issue.
    Finding 16 ga ammo, anywhere, in the loadings we prefer is the issue as I see it.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  9. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

So true and I doubt we will anytime in the near future. As I stated so little has been done to improve 16 gauge ammo your still basically in the 1970's with the choices that are out there. With modern high energy powders the 16 does come alive, Longshot for one gives new life to the 16. I wish some of these powder choices were around when we could still shoot lead for ducks, the 16 would have been a lot more effective.

Vahunter likes this.
  10. NW BIRDHUNTER

NW BIRDHUNTER Refuge Member

Me too, my daddy had a 16 gauge so it has a fond place in my heart. As a little boy I loved to have him show me the guns after dinner. The best of times!