The 17 lb goose contest

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Honker Guide, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Honker Guide

Honker Guide Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Well, here it is, time to start thinking about winning those dozen Dropzone decoys. With all the talk of giant Canada Geese, this just might be the year for that big bruser to come on up to the plate and hit a home run! The contest will be the same as last year except that the winning weight for the big Honker only has to be 17 lbs instead of the 18 lbs of last season. No pen raised geese, please. This contest is only for bonified flying honkers. Due to federal regulations, we will not be able to keep the big guy to get him mounted, but it has to be sent to us for verification. We will then send it back to the winner along with the dozen Dropzones.

If we don't get a winner this year, the winning weight will be 16 lbs next year. Be sure and tell all your friends about the contest so that if there really is that monster out there, he will get his moment in the spotlight! Good luck and be sure to weigh all your big honkers. Post up on a regular basis, all your big geese weights. It's fun to see how big these guys can get.

Paul

2. de-bander

de-bander Senior Refuge Member

Hey Paul

If someone sends in a 17 pounder and I'm in your area I hope you will let me take a gander at it in person. I have seen many, many honkers the largest being some bonifide maximas in North Dakota and some big, old moffitti ganders taken in the Willamette Valley during our late February season. Of all the wild canadas I have witnessed in hand I would say I have seen but a handful in the 13-15 pound range. I cannot imagine what a true 17 pounder must look like. I hope someone gets one! Great contest by the way!

3. goosehunter2118

goosehunter2118 Elite Refuge Member

Even a 13# goose is huge. I shot one last year and I thought it was the biggest goose on this side of the Mississippi. ;) Got home and it was an even 13#. I do thing monster geese are at there, you just might have to hunt in a fast food parking lot. :nutz

4. goosehunter2118

goosehunter2118 Elite Refuge Member

Honker, If I win, can I pick how many are feeder, actives, and sentries??? :grvn

5. cackler69

cackler69 Elite Refuge Member

I'm in we grow them BIG here in Nevada :rolleyes:

6. born2shoot

born2shoot Elite Refuge Member

how does this work...do we get someone to weight it or what happenes

7. Goosehunterdog

Goosehunterdog Elite Refuge Member

Not to start a war but I really don't see it happening this this season either.I will really be suprised if it does.

8. Pine

Pine Elite Refuge Member

this post needs to be a sticky so we don't loose it

9. rustygunner

rustygunner Senior Refuge Member

10. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

I am glad you are running the contest. It got me started and really evaluating the birds we shoot.

So far, we shot 11 during early season, all were residents, and the two adult "big fatties" still only went a hair over 12 pounds.

I think the 17 pounder is like the 200 pt typical whitetail - it is out there, but it is rare.