The 17 lb goose contest

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Honker Guide, Sep 19, 2005.

1. AKCAT

AKCAT Senior Refuge Member

You guys certainly have way more experience then I do at goose hunting but is it a fair comparrison between a 20lb wild turkey and a 20lb goose. I grew up in SD and have hunted Minn, and all the central flyways except OK and man any turkey I have ever killed was bigger than any goose I ever shot.
    I've heard of the big birds around Rochester Minn but have never hunted over there,YET.

2. goosenuts

goosenuts Senior Refuge Member

Dont let them get to you pga at least there weights are coming down. Stu west 25 out of 250 i'll take them odds any day and i bet i could come up with a good percentage kill rate on them birds. With them birds being 20 pounds and you weighed them im guessing, how much do the other geese in that 250 weigh. Some people are stone loco.:fp Colorado ran a big goose contest ont he front range most of the season and i think 12 pounds was the largest bird weighed. In the last 2 seasons my 2 groups of hunters have killed probally 1000 geese and the largest was like 12 pounds. Add another decent sized greater to that and you got 20 aint gonna happpen.

3. PGA2B

PGA2B Elite Refuge Member

I'm right here nuts....! until they march out any of these birds I am right and they are wishing, hoping,praying............

4. Empty Skies

Empty Skies Elite Refuge Member

:l :l Begging for the B.& C. now:clap if sooo many people know of this thread & contest why recruit, didn't see anyone posting other states or countries begging for a big goose:l :grvn Paul's prize is very generous & thanks Web for the 1 time opportunity:clap

5. fatlab

fatlab Elite Refuge Member

Here is the real story since you are mis-quoting me. I'll cut and paste, anyone who wants to read it all can find it in the thread titled 20LB Honker by Ruddyducks.

Your first words about the booner.
    Then you said:
    I said:
    Your first (wiggle) response to me was:
    Then you said:
    Huh, you never asked me to pay? Looks like you won't bet 5K if I won't here. More wiggling...

Then you say(adding rules):
    Then you say:
    Then I ask about the bet for Full Curls, here is my full post which you butchered and left out crucial info:
    That's funny, reads different when you see it all. My bet included muleys and late hunts. You never responded to it, and by your current definition of the contest it looks like you never wanted my bet. I can understand how you might be confused, you changed the rules so often.

Your final words started to go this direction:
    Wiggle wiggle. You never posted your contest on any page even though you were asked many times too. I have a box of full curls new in the box in my garage that I will send you if you can somehow explain how you took my bet.

6. webfootedquacker

webfootedquacker Elite Refuge Member

:l You guys are both pieces or work.
    If you look at my latest post on the contest, its on page three of this exact same thread, post #55, it explains it clearly. It doesn't say anything about you or anyone else ponying up any cash. I did make it whitetail only, its my contest I can do as I choose.
    Lets just cut to the chase though, PGA and geese4U have post on the Big game Forum, the Canadian Forum and the Texas Forum trying to recruit a winner. Not only did nobody not come forward, you guys couldn't even round up anyone. I assume you admit defeat on this one.
    You are absolutely correct about your bet of the full curls, you said it had to include Muleys, and I did NOT include Muleys. You don't owe me any full curls. With the post on the main forum about their paint falling off, not sure I want any.;)
    I have spent too much time on this, yall have at it.;)

7. PGA2B

See ya next year!!!!!:tu :tu :tu

8. goosenuts

goosenuts Senior Refuge Member

I bet that them dropzones dont get won until that weight gets down to the 14 pound mark. A 14 pound goose is a sure monster. I bet on these forums there are literally thousands upon thousands of geese harvested. You can bet your *** if people where killing these big birds you would have seen some type of proof. We all know boone and crocket deer exist offically scored but how come out of all the waterfowler's other then one guy from canada arent there any true testimonies of these big geese. I talked to a guy the other day from ohio that assures me that they kill 16-17 pound get on a consistent basis. And its nothing but here say. Its good to see most of the 20 pound goose guru's went in to hiding like bin laden. And if i can remember right mr. webfoot was one of them 20 pound killers. Most guys keep a journal right down to how many shells htey shot each year but know body has a true testimony of a 15 pound plus bird. Other then im 6 foot 3 look how big this bird was and its nothing but a 11 pound large bird. Some guy came on here and said out of 250 25 where 20 pound birds how in the hell would he know how much them birds weigh if you cant kill them. Not that good of a guide if you ask me. You need help killing them monsters i can come out next season and get a few for you. To only find out out of them 25 big ones 5 of them could only top the 12 pound mark. I hunt all over the west with scale in hand on all hunts and i bet on average out of a 100 geese harvested maybe 2-3 are 12 pound geese. But i know they grow them big in the midwest just like them big *** girls you got back there.:l

9. PGA2B

I think it's from the all corn:eek: :rolleyes: ever weight just the wings? or just the neck and head? they weight NOTHING!!!! a BIG goose has to come from body mass and that mass has to be muscle not fat.......so that monster grain fed 20 pounder had to be 18 pounds all summer at least

10. webfootedquacker

webfootedquacker Elite Refuge Member

You proved my point. You said that we know Boone and Crockett exist, but how come nobody on this forum is showing big geese. Well how come nobody on this forum killed a Boone and Crockett? As you said, we know they exist.
    Thats my whole point, what this small group of hunters kills and doesn't kill is no basis on what animals are and aren't out there.
    As far as your assertion that I was one of the ones stating to killing a 20 pounder, not me, never even close. Never even seen a 20 pounder, but I know several of the wildlife officials who manned the refuges in past years who said they have seen some big ones. When you hunt these refuges you had to check in your kill every day at the wildlife station. They worked there for years, and I believe them to be honest individuals.
    Pauls contest is no bearing on whether there are or are not big geese out there, but I will say it has been fun.:tu
    Until next year:tu
    p.s. Its never too early boys to start feeding those geese.:yes