Big Game Hunting Forum Sponsors

The absolute best way to hunt deer

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by trmichels, Mar 3, 2009.

1. wingmastr23

wingmastr23 Elite Refuge Member

Well.....There are roughly 35 responses now.....So get on it TRMagic....Tell us what we have won.

2. duckklr69

duckklr69 Elite Refuge Member

Well..........:confused:

3. bigbob

bigbob Senior Refuge Member

31-50:tu

4. trmichels

trmichels Senior Refuge Member

8295 144th St. West, Apple Valley, MN 55124
    Ok, here is an answer to some of the several points I was trying to make:

Every "deer movement" study I've ever seen (whether using electronic location/timer devices, electronic deer "gates" [on penned deer], or deer sibghting study - I have ever seen - show 2 peak activity times for white-tailed deer, and elk, one at roughtly sunrise and one at roughly sunset, with very minor peaks at midday and midnight.

Whietyails are what scientists refe to as "crepuscular" meaning they are active primarily at sunset and sunrise.

The studies all show that deer often begin moving earlier in the evening than normal when there is cloud cover, and that they genearlly stay out longer in the morning than normal when there is cloud cover.

The conclusion we can come to is that "the amount of available light" (from the sun each day, and possibly the moon each night), probably triggers a deer's urge to get up and become active - or at least makes it feel seucre enough to become active. My personal studies, and those of others confirm this idea.

The reason being, that - because deer are crepuscular - indicates that they are most comfortable being active when there are low light conditions, and that anything that alters the available amount of light each day, can, and may cause deer to beocme active when there are low-light conditions, or at least conditions the deer feel secure in.

This probably does not apply as much in heavily wooded areas, where leaves or needles may "alter" the amount of "available light, because of the shady conditions - and because the deer often feel more seucre in wooded areas - than in opne areas.

So, when it is cloudy- you might want to get out earlier in the evening, and stay out later in the morning.

There is still another point to be made:

How often do you think there are 7 full days of light from the full moon in November - in your area????

God bless, and good hunting,

T.R.

5. Underradar

Underradar Banned

Here's a word that has almost left the English language:

Simpleton.

Yes. You are.

6. gbrownlee

gbrownlee Senior Refuge Member

Why did we have to get 20 replies for you to tell us this?:confused: Our replies really had nothing to do with what you just posted.

7. FDM

FDM Elite Refuge Member

I know one thing...deer seem to light headlights on vehicles

8. wingmastr23

wingmastr23 Elite Refuge Member

Man....no doubt! Isn't that obvious? If it is cloudy, deer move more....plain and simple....I was taught that as a teenager...Didn't need a "scientific study" to prove it to me....

I guess I was looking for something more....

Ok TR - Chalk it up - you fooled me once....won't happen twice.:eek:

9. Bucephala

Bucephala Elite Refuge Member

All the research I've done seems to indicate that when it's not cloudy in the daytime, the sky tends to look blue but at night it's more black with little white dots.

If y'all like, I can write that down and sell it to ya!

Nate.

10. blklabhandlr

blklabhandlr Senior Refuge Member

If thats true... tr=doosh^2

n/m didnt see where tr finally answered.