The absolute best way to hunt deer

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by trmichels, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Waterproof

Waterproof Elite Refuge Member

Put down the bong seriously. Please try to explain, somehow in English, how you were able to come to any of those conclusions based upon the percentage of cloudy days has anything to do with your answer?

I never told you about deer sightings or movement compared to cloudy days.

You apparently have no clue about what you are trying to convey about the answers we gave, compared to what you are trying to say.

However ANYONE that has spent ANY amount of time in the woods could tell you without ANY answers from ANYBODY, that deer and elk tend to move more in the fringe light hours with cloud cover or weather.

2. wigeonmeister

wigeonmeister Elite Refuge Member

31-50%

3. patos el supremo

patos el supremo Elite Refuge Member

every outdoorsman knows all that

4. Kamo Gari

Kamo Gari Banned

1-100%. Shot in the dark...

5. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

But is every outdoorsman writing a book about it?

6. goose hunters

goose hunters Elite Refuge Member

Has this guy ever hunted before or is he just a internet hunter?

7. wingmastr23

wingmastr23 Elite Refuge Member

Mark,

I still don't get why he needed our input - It doesn't make sense.

8. trmichels

trmichels Senior Refuge Member

8295 144th St. West, Apple Valley, MN 55124
    Although the studies have been previously done, I thought that if you guys put in your .02 worth, it might make more sens to you.

Since 1989 - I've guided for and sold hunts and my products to people such as - MN Vikings coach Bud Grant, MN Timberwolves coach Kevin McHale, former NRA Editor John Zent, Trebark Camouflage designer Jim Crumley, outdoor writing Kathy Etling, General Norman Schwartzkopf, and dozens of others.

I know how to hunt whitetails. I may not be good at it - but I know how.

T.R.

Here is one way to hunt them:

Here is one way:

I've learned - through my research and the research of others - that the weather is basically the main factor that determines "when" and "where" deer are most active "every day". Knowing where and when deer are most likely to be - helps me locate deer on a pretty darn regular basis.

Say it is raining cats and dogs, and the wind is howling at 30 mph. I KNOW the deer are probably not gonna move much - so there is no sense sitting at a stand at the edge of a cut cornfield waiting for the deer to come to me - I have to figure out where they are most likely to be - and get close enough to them to get an opportunity. So, I get up and go look for areas where I think the deer will be holed up.
    And, I've learned - through my research and personal experience that the deer are likely to be in heavy overhead cover if they can find it, and be in a spot that is out of the wind, maybe on the down windside of a hill or wooded area, or a low-lying area. I know this, because I've researched deer for 10 years, and hunted them since I was 12 years old. I've learned a few things in that time. Not all of it, but some of it.

Reading Seer Sign
    Next, and this is very important, I've learned to know where to look for deer sign, and I've learned to understand what it means, which can tell me "when" the deer was in the area ('cause I understand why the deer was there - through scientific reseach), and when it might be in that general area again. I scout literally dozens of hours before the season, and all during the season (generally every few days).

And I look for the trails "buck" use, because in many areas they use the same basic routes each day as they come and go from their daytime core areas/bedding sites - to food sources and look for does.

Knowing bucks often use the same travel routes (and often the very same trail every day) especially the closer they get to their daytime core areas - I know that I can "pattern" their movments (predict on a semi-regular basis - just about where they will be every few days, at approximately the same time every day, as long as the rut is not on). And I look for their rub-route, and the scrapes they make, 'cause that tells me the buck spends some time along those areas. And that they will still use those same areas, even if the rut is on, on a less regular basis - as long as they don't find an estrus doe, and that as soon as the doe is out of estrus - they may still use those areas, especially the closer they get to their daytime core area (bedding site) once the doe is out of estrus, 'cause they may want to rest up for a few days.

So - the area where a buck spends the most amount of time - during daylight hours (legal hunting hours - and up to 75% of the DAY -not night) is in or near its "daytime core area". That is where you should spend the most amount of time if you want to take a "particular" (large racked???) buck.

And I find that buck's core area, by either seeing it or getting photos of it, and then reading sign, finding its rub route, and either back-tracking (usually) its rub route in the evening - until I actually find its core area, or I follow the rub route in the morning to locate the core area.

Then I setup - in a likely location - play the wind, and ambush him when he walks by. I might use scents, calls, rattling and decoys to get him in close. But, usually I can setup where he will walk by withing 25 yards of where I setup - and use nothing.

It takes bit of work, and a lot of understanding of deer behavior, which I've gained as a result of reading research papers and doing 10 years of deer research myself.

And I've learned (and devised) several ways to "cut down on the amount of time spent scouting", which can be used by the average Joe hunter - who does not have the time to spend scouting like I do. I'm gonna give more of it away here.

"Patterning" is one of the most productive ways to kill "particular big bucks" that you may see.

God bless,

T.R.

9. wingmastr23

wingmastr23 Elite Refuge Member

That is a good read.