The anti-religious left

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by KENNEDY63, Sep 10, 2017.

1. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

Speaking of bigotry, hate, and all of that stuff......the left has mainstreamed it. Another shining example of "all are welcome here".

Democrats and ‘Dogma’
    Are you now or have you ever been an ‘orthodox Catholic’?

By The Editorial Board
    Sept. 7, 2017 7:20 p.m. ET

‘Why is it that so many of us on this side have this very uncomfortable feeling that—you know, dogma and law are two different things. And I think whatever a religion is, it has its own dogma. The law is totally different. And I think in your case, professor, when you read your speeches, the conclusion one draws is that the dogma lives loudly within you, and that’s of concern when you come to big issues that large numbers of people have fought for years in this country.”

Thus did California Sen. Dianne Feinstein pronounce on Wednesday that, by virtue of being a faithful Catholic, Amy Barrett, a respected law professor at Notre Dame, may have excluded herself from a federal judgeship. President Trump has nominated Ms. Barrett for the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals. But the Democratic obsession with Ms. Barrett’s religion transformed what should have been a routine Senate confirmation hearing into a tour of the mind of the modern secular left.

The ugly implication of Mrs. Feinstein’s words is underscored by the context. She deployed them to suggest Ms. Barrett’s faith would lead her to substitute her personal beliefs for the law, basing the accusation primarily on a law review article Ms. Barrett wrote in 1998 as a law clerk.

Ms. Barrett and her co-author explicitly reached the opposite conclusion: “Judges cannot—nor should they try to—align our legal system with the Church’s moral teaching whenever the two diverge.”

The question addressed by the law review article was what Catholic judges ought to do when they conclude they cannot in good conscience apply the law as written because it clashes with their own moral views. If she was rattled by the question, Sen. Feinstein ought to have been reassured by the answer Ms. Barrett gave: They should recuse themselves.

David Rivkin, a constitutional litigator, says “the tenor of questions by Democrat Senators seemed designed more to challenge the ideas of Catholic orthodoxy—a subject more fitting for a theological debate than a Senate hearing.”

Proving Mr. Rivkin’s point. Sen. Dick Durbin jumped in to demand of Ms. Barrett: “Do you consider yourself an orthodox Catholic?” Does Mr. Durbin understand that he sounds like the Southern Baptist ministers in 1960 who thought Jack Kennedy shouldn’t be President because he’d take orders from the pope?

This questioning is part of a broader effort on the left to disqualify people with strong religious views from the public square. Ms. Feinstein’s smear about Ms. Barrett’s “dogma” dovetails with the left-wing Southern Poverty Law Center’s effort to label any outfit that doesn’t go along with its agenda a “hate group.”

Sen. Al Franken, the great legal philosopher, wrapped it all up nicely by accusing Ms. Barrett of having appeared before a “hate” group. He was referring to the Alliance Defending Freedom, a religious liberty outfit that the Southern Poverty Law Center designated a hate group because it adheres to traditional views about human sexuality and marriage.

As for judges imposing dogma over the law, it’s worth noting that not all dogmas are religious. Democratic interest groups are explicit in demanding that Democratic judicial nominees be committed to overturning Citizens United’s defense of free speech while brooking no modification in Roe v. Wade.

Let’s hope the Senate rejects the bigotry that marred Wednesday’s hearing and approves the eminently qualified Ms. Barrett for the Seventh Circuit. The federal bench could use more judges who understand their civic duty as well as Ms. Barrett does.

Appeared in the September 8, 2017, print edition.

The_Duck_Master and Bear like this.
  2. API

API Political Action Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Apologies to @KENNEDY63 but I fell off the chair laughing at the Franken characterization...
    Back on track... in her own PC way (to this long time CA resident), Dianne is as bigoted and intolerant as they come.

WoodieSC, The_Duck_Master and Bear like this.
  3. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for the article. I bet she has kittens when she looks at how many Catholics are on the SCOTUS. The late Justice Scalia (Rest in peace) even had /has a son who is a Catholic priest.

I wonder how the governer of California feels about her position on Catholic judges. His being a Jesuit and all. Of course being a Jesuit he probably agrees with her.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  4. KENNEDY63

Amazing the level of the free pass that he and Amy Klobuchar get from our local press - drug addiction and all.

Minnesota's finest.

WoodieSC and API like this.
  5. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Feinstein champions minorities, especially Hispanics, a good percentage of which are Catholic... I wonder how her Hispanic constituency feels about her overt Catholic bias?

WoodieSC likes this.
  6. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Don't forget the black Catholics and Arab and LGBTQ Catholics. And it's not only Sen. Feinstein pushing this. Those democrats are such Deplorables...the savages.

I may have to switch parties so I can be a "racist" bas**** and do it openly in public. My wife hates it when I get her sheets all smellin of smoke and kerosene from the cross burnins.

7. KENNEDY63

Maybe Notre Dame will actually take a turn back towards their Catholic roots. After their unconditional surrender to Obama on the contraceptive issue, I wasn't so sure.

It Is Chilling to Hear . . . ’
    Notre Dame’s president has some pointed words for Senate Democrats.

[​IMG]
    University of Notre Dame President John I. Jenkins, March 16, 2017. PHOTO: BRENDAN SMIALOWSKI/AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE/GETTY IMAGES
    By
    The Editorial Board
    Sept. 10, 2017 4:18 p.m. ET

Our editorial last week on the spectacle of Senate Democrats questioning the Catholic faith of Notre Dame law professor and judicial nominee Amy Barrett struck a nerve. Many readers are stunned that politicians would suggest that having “orthodox” religious views could disqualify someone from the American judiciary.

Also concerned is John Jenkins, President of the University of Notre Dame. Fr. Jenkins is no conservative but he can spot an attack on religious belief, and on Saturday he wrote to Sen. Dianne Feinstein, the ranking Democrat on the Senate Judiciary Committee who led the assault on Ms. Barrett. Here is the letter in full:

Dear Senator Feinstein:

Considering your questioning of my colleague Amy Coney Barrett during the judicial confirmation hearing of September 6, I write to express my confidence in her competence and character, and deep concern at your line of questioning.

Professor Barrett has been a member of our faculty since 2002, and is a graduate of our law school. Her experience as a clerk for Judge Laurence Silberman of the U.S. Court of Appeals and Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia is of the highest order. So, too, is her scholarship in the areas of federal courts, constitutional law and statutory interpretation. I am not a legal scholar, but I have heard no one seriously challenge her impeccable legal credentials.

Your concern, as you expressed it, is that “dogma lives loudly in [Professor Barrett], and that is a concern when you come to big issues that large numbers of people have fought for years in this country.” I am one in whose heart “dogma lives loudly”, as it has for centuries in the lives of many Americans, some of whom have given their lives in service to this nation. Indeed, it lived loudly in the hearts of those who founded our nation as one where citizens could practice their faith freely and without apology.

Professor Barrett has made it clear that she would “follow unflinchingly” all legal precedent and, in rare cases in which her conscience would not allow her to do so, she would recuse herself. I can assure you that she is a person of integrity who acts in accord with the principles she articulates.

It is chilling to hear from a United States Senator that this might now disqualify someone from service as a federal judge. I ask you and your colleagues to respect those in whom “dogma lives loudly”—which is a condition we call faith. For the attempt to live such faith while one upholds the law should command respect, not evoke concern.

Respectfully,

Rev. John I. Jenkins, C.S.C.

President

The_Duck_Master, Pastor and API like this.
  8. hobbydog

hobbydog Elite Refuge Member

9. KENNEDY63

I don't blame you for trying to divert attention from the bigoted, McCarthy-esque tact that your party has taken relative to those who are religious.

If the judge were Muslim and a Republican pursued this line of questioning/inquiry, your Antifa buddies and their MSM lackeys would be burning down urban churches due to the Crusades.

Shameful.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  10. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Didn't the Liberals raise hell about Trump being a racist for suggesting he didn't believe he could get an impartial ruling on a case because the judge was of Mexican heritage?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    lugnut likes this.