Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

The Cow Cut-Out?

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by wooduck26, Dec 8, 2003.

1. wooduck26

wooduck26 Elite Refuge Member

I know everyone has different views on sneaking Geese but if we can put them aside for a bit.......
    I was wondering if anyone has used, or made their own Cow board? Any tips on using them or tips on making one? Thanks Dave~

2. Gaudi

Gaudi Elite Refuge Member

Don't let that bull get too close:) :)

3. snowgoosegear

snowgoosegear Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

Get some corrogated plastic from the local sign making shop & piece it together in 2-3 pieces to get the size of a large cow. Put some brackets on it so you can hold onto it as you walk. If you have access, use an overhead projector & trace the cow shape out on the plastic. Paint as appropriate & you're off to the sneaking race.

A cow works but just about anything will. We had some snows land in a field near our spread last year & I walked up on them holding my layout blind infront of me.

Someone needs to make a huge bale blind that works like a hamster wheel with a trap door. Then you could just roll up on them & spring the door & blammo!

If you plan on hunting the snows over decoys don't sneak them out of a field. You could have some amazing decoy action if you let them feed in a field in the evening & come back in the AM.

Lee

4. Nodak Duke

Nodak Duke Senior Refuge Member

I made a two man cow board out of plywood a few years back... Put two handles on it and two hoos for the slings of our guns to hang on... Went with the Angus breed of cow. :) Felt like a real jack-azz the first few times I did it, but had some decent success and ended up getting a few laughs in at the end. -I don't do it any longer... Seems the birds have smartened up to this trick for the most part and my back doesn't agree with all that crouching.

5. Aaron

Aaron Moderator Moderator

lmaof x 1000000 on the hammster wheel idea. How about a big tumble weed?? Or dress up as a large tree. On a show on MTV they showed two guys wearing a zebra outfit, heck the snows and blues have never seen zebras before.

6. snowgoosegear

snowgoosegear Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

We have a chick-filet restaurant near our house & sometimes they have a guy out front wearing a cow suit - I might have to see if I can borrow it!

Lee

7. ColoDuk

ColoDuk Elite Refuge Member

i have to admit i have used the cow on snows before, it doesnt take much to do it, we decoyed one day and only shot 5 birds but they kept landing on the other side of the same field so we got ****ed and biligerantly drunk that night and decided to make a couple of cow cut outs, well it takes a pretty big piece of cardboard and all w had were boxes so we made a two man-two piece cow that only stood like 4 foot tall:l and then we made a single man one that ended up looking like a donkey in the end due to the drunkeness, the two man cow had its head and neck come out like half way down its chest so it had a huge hump and looked like a camel, again because of the drunkeness, well we spray painted them black and headed for the field, took us around 4 or 5 trys to actually get some, but the two man cow got within 20 yards of the birds on the ground and they dropped it and actually had to yell at the 3,000 + birds to get up as they were just feeding away and un alert, what im trying to say is that they dont even have to be realistic very much they just have to fool the geese into thinking that no humans are around or have any part in it, it was fun though, 2 guys dropped 24 birds with 6 shots:)

8. watchm

watchm Banned

I made mine out of 1/4 inch plywood, put a hinge in the middle for transportation purposes, four u-hooks used as a gun rack for two guns, make sure to cut out peep holes to look through. We even put a tail on ours. I think that the corrugated plastic would work good because of the weight. The drawback is the weight and when the wind blows it is tough to control. It can work though. Move slowly and in a zig-zag pattern.
    Good Luck.

9. Anserivore

Anserivore Guest

I hunted with a guy that made a full 3D Trojan cow. Mostly nice- good carry handles, gun racks, and camo netting velcroed on top, so you could just bust through it and shoot. But he didn't put on a head. I can see that a head is harder to make, but he claimed the snows wouldn't notice. I think they did, cause they always looked askance at us and kept their distance. It was good for a bucketload of laughs, and later someone gave him a rubber cow mask, which was hard to find here, but easy to get in England- go figure. This year we'll compare cow + head to ghillies and see which works better.

The year before I was going in a car, and had to drive a ways to get there, so instead of a board I just draped cow-print cloth over myself and a piece of conduit. It looked good in the living room, but in North Dakota the minimum wind speed seems about 30, so it was just a funny-looking way to make a loud flapping noise that in no way endeared me to snow geese.

10. texmedic

texmedic Senior Refuge Member

It usually does... :D :D :D