Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

The dollar wins again.

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by Toothshucker1, May 26, 2008.

1. waterswatter

waterswatter Elite Refuge Member

This is a good topic, Toothshucker. I too, can see the problem (actually I can see both sides) but sadly, I don't have any answers. :(

2. IFSteve

IFSteve Elite Refuge Member

Tooth

I think we all agree that the making of waterfowl hunting dvds certainly doesn't help our hunting and indeed in the long run might hurt.

But that is only the first question. The more important question is what could legally be done to regulate it such that it would deter it from happening? If anybody has some realistic ideas that could be looked at then super lets hear about them.

"1. that individual hasn't been in an area where these activities have caused problems or 2. some individual are in favor of it for their own reasons." Not a fair assumption at all.

No one has said its not open to discussion. What has been said is just what could be done about it? Lots of good discussion but there has not been one single idea on how this issue might be addressed.

If somebody has some ideas and some energy to dig into it then fantastic. My point is that unless I see some potential avenue then I see no point in spending a lot of time and energy on it.

We can talk for ad infinitum but unless it has some focus or direction then after awhile its just more idle talk to get us to hunting season. Which is fine but doesn't really put the topic on a path where we might really do something about it.

3. baker aka goosenut

baker aka goosenut Elite Refuge Member

This is getting ridicolous if a state sells nonresident licenses and there is good hunting you cant do crap about nonresidents coming into your state with or without a video camera. Face it its gonna happen wether you like it or not. I hope none of you who are bitching hunt no where other then in your own state. Cause if your hunting in a neighboring state and then coming home and bragging about how good it was your ruining our sport also.:rolleyes: Bottom line get out there and work hard for your spots and out smart the next guy and you will do fine.

4. Waterfowl fool

Waterfowl fool Elite Refuge Member

Take it easy on me guys !! I wrote this very fast adn to the point so try not to disect it too much please !!

About this thread....

I know where this stems and I first have to that I for one have to ask everyone to get real for a moment!

I would relate this question with just about anything and everything anyone does for a sport or past time.

For instance. Some where some how you, your father, your grandpap, someone some where introduced you into waterfowling. Having that said it was in YOU to take up the sport.

For many of us we have friends or realatives that "show us the way"...I was lucky enough to have actually hunted with my great grandfather to my grandpa who raised me here on Lake Okeechobee. In recent years drought has ravaged out lake BUT in years prior we were a hidden wonder.

I remember flocks of hundreds of ringers locked and cocked into the decoys…equal amounts of teal as well. As I grew up I watched my great grandfather carve decoys out of palm tree’s…yep he sure did I still have two ringnecks amazingly enough, hollowed out palm tree’s, someone would think your nuts these days…lol

To carry on with the topic. Even starting at the young age of six duck hutning (didn’t shoot my 410 until I was 8 mind you) however I was like a companion on every trip. I learned to love the sport and I was lucky enough to keep it up until I left to go into the Marines in 91 right in time for the Gulf…lol, lucky me. I thought Paris Island was hot in July…uh; try Kuwait at 120 degrees in the day… I’ll take a ticked off D.I. in the sand digging for sands flea’s over that any day…

When I got out a few years past and I watched a few duck hunting shows and I would see the guys at the boat ramps when I checked the area’s as I was working as a deputy at the time and I started thinking, man I sure would love to get back into duck hunting. So I did.

Bought boat the whole nine all my buddies were still doing it so I got up with them and caught up on all the spots and started again. That was about 15 years ago, I pretty much live breath duck hunting and if you ask my wife, I would probably marry a duck of I could.

We all have wants, you can even call them needs but most are more like dreams. One of mine was to go hunt flooded rice. Went there tried that, it didn’t work out as we picked the only years in history that it seem to flood in all of the lower half of Arkansas and our guides normal 6 inch rice filed was now 4 foot under…we only had a group of buffleheads come in, IN ARKANSAS !!, that’s how bad it was…lol

5. Waterfowl fool

Anyways the way I picked the area was through the “Duck’s Unlimited” issue I read one day. Didn’t mention anything or give any clues to where it was just said Arkansas… and eluded to staying in Texarkana’s, which we did.

Anyways that trip was a miss. I have also hunted in your area with Tom Matus and we used to go to a little town in Alabama each year that we heard about by word of mouth through other duck hunters and we had one of the best times of our lives. We actually are talking about going back next year… relive some memories.

However since then I have been lucky enough to hunt with Capt. Jeff Coats in Maryland as paying customer each and every year since 2003 (missed last year), Capt. Kevin Corey for geese in Ohio, and next year I am going with Capt. Rhodes to Rhode Island and the year after to Alaska and possible to Washington the year after…All of which I either heard through word of mouth, video’s, clips on u-tube, or websites, and yes T.V.

Here’s my point. It’s about net working. Chances are no one will ever infest your areas like some feels will happen. However, as the world grows we too must realize, as we did hear in Okeechobee that the world gets smaller and smaller each day. I remember going out on the Marsh and owning the area. Now it’s common place to see 15 boats just in my marsh alone.

What we all need to realize here is that no one is encroaching on anyone’s hidden paradise. Someone was there before use, someone will be there after us. I can’t for the life of me understand how paranoid some get. Just because YOU recognize a certain bend in the road or YOU recognize a certain area, gas station, bridge doesn’t mean the entire world does… For “Christ’s all mighty sakes” guys, what happened to sportsmanship, what happened to the band of brothers… When I was out there I received nothing but warm responses form everyone.

Since then I have NUMEROUS person offer me the chance to come back, which I will take. As well I offer my services for blackbellied tree ducks, BW Teal and Florida’s own and very special mottled ducks to ANY of you. I am actually PM’ing at least two guys a week from Idaho and some from others states about coming. I am just about booked up solid right now. NONE of which will be charged a penny. Why? It’s about passing it on. What’s mine is yours. You’re my guest when you are here… I don’t worry about you dragging a boat and trailer across the US to come back because chances are you wont, BUT if you did I would put you on the birds in a second, a second!

THAT”S what it’s all about ladies and gents… I am very sorry for anyone who feels that the “video” in question exploits you area. But YOUR area is actually very small compared to the 1080 miles the SNAKE River encompasses. So chances are guys your getting all upset over nothing.

Even though my wife’s entire family is from there I could never bring a boat and trailer all the way from BFE (Okeechobee, Fla.) to hunt. The fact is I was graciously invited along on a trip from a friend that I formed while hunting with.

I assure you this, your area will be guarded no “identifying shots” will be given, however I don’t know I don’t have a part in that, BUT Capt. Jeff and Capt. Tim are professionals guys..

6. Waterfowl fool

Again YOU might recognize certain area’s but can you honestly tell me that by watching DU TV or Benelli Outdoors or any other hunting show OTHER THAN WHEN THEY WANT YOU TO KNOW where they are you can look at the screen and then find the place… Short of GPS coordinates I don’t think so…

Again guys I think a lot of people are getting upset for no reason. We have had TV slots all over the Lake O for fishing, Gator hunting, Speck’s and yes, duck’s. Trust me it takes A LOT for someone to put a trip together.

Now I’ll be back and I am going to hunt with some of you that I met while there, some I didn’t get to but will hopefully meet you again as my travels bring me back through…Again my door is ALWAYS open, if you can’t afford a hotel, you can stay right here, I like sleeping spoons though…lol

Really guys again, I thank all of you for all the offers to hunt with you, I will be back and I hope to get a warm reception. I would take pride in your “area” being featured. But other than that I don’t see how anyone would ever figure out where to go and hunt your area… Just a fact. Hope this doesn’t kill me I just want you guys to be at ease. Idaho is a GREAT state with some of the BEST down home, hard working people, just a fact! We actually have talked about retiring there so I really hope I’m welcomed back…lol But then again in 15 years this will all be a memory anyways right… God bless guys!

Check this out as well.... http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?t=625450

ALSO ...NEED TO SAY THIS !!

Also I want to make it very clear I did not have the money for the week long trip I normally take every year this past year so i could not hunt with Jeff in Maryland, and yes, contrary to some beliefs we pay the same fee's when we hunt with him as any of you would for world class sea ducking.

Jeff is my friend, I trust him with myl life and most inter parts of my family, Jeff knows I have been dying for the chance to shoot a goldeneye for years BUT, I would never have the chance so he remembered about my in laws living in Nampa when he talked with Tom about coming out, one thing lead to another and I was able to stay at my wife's grandmothers mooch there a few days, few days at a cheap motel by the airport as well... Even had to use some sky miles to get there for this trip.

Matus showed me and took me on a hunt I will never forget, and despite some really cold weather I will forever be endebted to him jeff and tim for the chance to go...and NO I did not pay for it, So i want to make it very clear to all becuase that was brought up last time, you guys are great and where great to us, got to meat a few of you guys at teh store and at the ramp.

I know in my heart of hearts that this time next year you guys worried will have your worries calmed when you dont see the HUGE influx of people you think will hit the area... remember guys 1080 miles, through 3 states is a huge river... I know they can't and wont pinpoint the area...Jeff and Tim would never burn anyone...Just a fact! Best to all W/F - Jack Nash

7. jkryspin

jkryspin Elite Refuge Member

These threads just keep giving the Snake River more and more press. I'm setting the GPS now for November...

:h

8. Band Man

Band Man Elite Refuge Member

Thats true the more press this keeps getting the more you guys run the risk of having a few non residents show up for some gunning next season. You guys attack Jeff, but YOU have given more information about that river on this forum than jeff did in the video :no Jeff Coats is one of the most respected men on this forum, I doubt anything will come out of it from his video. I dont doubt somthing will come from people lurking on this thread. Good point with the non resident issue. As long as your state is selling those licences you the hunter has no say in who hunts public land. People get mad at me for hunting in wy,co,ut,nv,ca,or. Those same residents are the ones sitting at home mad cuz a ooser got on land and shot limits. I have every right that a in state hunter has as long as im legal. I dont know why there is attacks on Jeff Coats, like I said before I didnt see or hear anthing when DU waterdog was filming and broadcast a couple of shows smashing limits on the river while comparing it better than arkansas hunting.
    I applaud that man for driving cross country with his rig to shoot some goldeneyes. Anyone seen gas prices :eek:

Idahofowlweather, your a respectable guy but whats the difference in you coming to nevada to shoot a ANYTHING and a ooser coming to Idaho to shoot ANYTHING ?? That seems like a real double standard that you would be willing to come to Nevada to shoot a swan, but scoff at oosers coming to your state to shoot goldeneyes. Did you ever think those Nevada residents might get mad that a Idaho resident is coming to thier state to harvest game ?? Its the same principal. If its legal and your allowed to buy the tag you have every right that a Nevada hunter has in harvesting ANY BIRD. Again its not an attack on your personall character, I know your a hunter who cares about the resource and the sport. Im just trying to understand why Idaho people are so against people coming to thier state, but they go hunt out of state and expect nobody to get mad. Maybe your not even that type of guy, again im just trying to understand.

9. 43x

43x Elite Refuge Member

You ID. boys take your golden eyes way to serious :l

I woudn't walk across the street to shoot a truck load of those gator hide things much less have to clean them :no

10. Jacob Hyer

Jacob Hyer Elite Refuge Member

BandMan, no where on these forums have I bashed Out of Starters coming to Idaho to hunt, I'm not from the east side of the state...:l and do not feel that pressure from OUT of Starters… but I do live on the boarder of the state with Oregon and I see Out of starters all the time on Idaho waters but I also hunt in there state too... I'm not against Out of Starters coming here and hunting, its like what 10% of the waterfowl hunters in Idaho and they go home when they are done don't know where your getting that Idea that I scoff at them coming... really I welcome them and if they want to hunt with me sure because I would rather help them out and have a good hunt and stay safe on the Snake...!

I keep hearing guys say the Snake is a Big river and it would be hard for a Out of starter to pin point a location... I'm not concerned with that at all, I'm more concerned with the locals figuring out how to hunt Divers… you guys might think it would be hard to know those locations but as Hajj stated its not going to be that tuff... sure you might have to know that area but you have to remember SSS the river is used for more than Duck hunting, and I see more traffic on the river in the spring and summer than Fall and Winter... so your dead wrong when you think guys will not discover it... for crap sacks you grew up thinking G.E. would not decoy until you met me...:tu and I grew up thinking the same thing until Seal and Pinman showed me... Same for Kenny...:tu but he is the G.E. king now :rolleyes: :l ... we have all learned how to shoot them some ways... Darin learned by trial and error and really has the most to lose because he is the one that put in the Time, Fuel, and Money to find out how... we just went to the store and picked up some decoys.. I really wish now I would have learned it the hard way because I would have been less careless on my picture posting and giving free info out...

I can promise you boys from Nevada when I come down to get my swan I will take a pic and probable show it off on the net because that is a special bird for me, but I will not tell a sole where I was hunting... would one of you boys like to help me out filling that dream...? I can trade a G.E. hunt :l