The failing of American Journalism

Discussion in 'World News / Current Events Forum' started by CPLZ, Apr 6, 2015.

1. CPLZ

CPLZ Senior Refuge Member

Here is a story about how Rolling Stone magazine published a story of a gang rape, that a Columbia Journalism School project uncovered as fabricated.

The net result is that the people responsible for not fact checking before publication, the writer and editor, were not fired.

This goes a long way to showing how the American public no longer places any value on credibility. In a previous generation, RS would have been flooded with subscription cancellations...not now however. We seem to be a generation that thinks holding people responsible, is someone elses job.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/04/06/media/rolling-stone-no-firings/index.html?iid=Lead

2. Blacklab227

Blacklab227 Elite Refuge Member

Frankly, I don't think it really matters. Once the boomers die off, I don't think there will be much of a market for dead tree publications.

3. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

4. CPLZ

But it's not just print...it's all media. Brian Williams at NBC wasn't fired. Bill O'Reilly at Fox is being backed by his bosses (although no one really considers Fox real news), without a bad word being said. You listen to news on TV and Radio and they throw around words like Catastrophic, Horrifying, Remarkable, Unbelievable....and that's just when they are talking about the weather...and no one bats an eye.

5. hartfish

hartfish Elite Refuge Member

The Fox bashing from the left is really getting tiresome.

What would you consider "real" news? Can you name a news source that doesn't distort or falsify to fit an agenda? Rolling Stone?

"Fox News does a fantastic job separating its straight news (daytime, Bret Baier, Shepard Smith, etc.) from its openly conservative programming."

http://www.breitbart.com/big-journalism/2013/03/18/pew-study-proves-fox-news-critics-wrong/

6. pintail2222

pintail2222 Elite Refuge Member

The problem is the line between "news reporting" and "opinion" is getting blurred by the uninformed - and you are guilty of it in you paragraph.

Brian Williams is a "News Reporter". Bill O'Reilly is a "Political Commentator".

Scott Pelly is a "News Reporter". Chris Matthews is a "Political Commentator".

David Muir is a "News Reporter". Rachael Maddow is a "Political Commentator".

7. CPLZ

I don't know any credible journalist that regards Fox as news programming (and btw, that bashing was from the moderate right). But you are correct, that there isn't much credibility in any TV news.

I would defer to print for real news. If you're not reading, you're probably not well informed, only because I don't think its possible with electronic.

Of all the electronics, I'd say news programming like, Meet The Press and This Week are tops, although they are simply weekly hot topic shows.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  8. CPLZ

Ok, I'll grant you that distinction. But calling David Muir a "news reporter", is like calling Pamela Anderson a spokesperson. And, Bill O'Reilly holds himself up as more than a political commentator, he portrays himself as a "news commentator". That doesn't change the fact that he lied and isn't being held to any standard of truth. THe one quote in the story I linked that stands out to me was...

"What would Rolling Stone in its heyday write about an institution that screwed up unbelievably, damaged people's lives, but punished no one?" Politico's John Bresnahan asked on Twitter Sunday night.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  9. pintail2222

pintail2222 Elite Refuge Member

I don't believe that CPLZ is aware that Bill O'Reilly isn't a news anchor. He assumes O'Reilly is like a Scott Pelly, David Muir and Lester Holt...

Fox, CNN, NBC, ABC, CBS et all all get their news feeds off the same wires - AP (Associated Press) and Reuters... But they all report the news with their own "slant" to capture their viewers:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. Blacklab227

Blacklab227 Elite Refuge Member

Good point, and you're right. The problem with the whole mess is O'Reilly and the like make comments, back up their comments with evidence supporting one side of the issue, and then dare the listener to prove them wrong.

The problem is the average listener already agrees with whatever their guy is saying, so they don't see the need to do additional research. They'd rather say that the work was already done. It's the definition of confirmation bias.