The finger lakes?

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by DWB5, Mar 3, 2018.

1. DWB5

DWB5 Senior Refuge Member

Lords will I would like to take a duck hunting trip somewhere this year. I had thought about a sea duck trip but I cannot get any of my buddy's on board to spend that much money. So I thought about taking a diy trip to the finger lakes for divers.
    I have a 17'×50" flat bottom with a 75hp motor. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. And when would be the best time to go on the trip? Thanks

2. BAYDOG

BAYDOG Moderator- Diver, NY Forum, Refuge Classifieds Sponsor Moderator Flyway Manager

Phelps,New York (Heart of the Finger Lakes)
    That would work, just watch the weather! The Finger Lakes can get rough quick! Cayuga Lake would be best, south end. Just give yourself a day to scout the launches on the west side.

DWB5 likes this.
  3. SGK

SGK Refuge Member

I usually don't bother hunting the finger lakes until the late season that starts after Christmas.
    Not that there aren't birds there earlier but it is hit and miss.
    The birds get a chance to rest and build up during the period between seasons.
    BAYDOG is right on about Cayuga but all the finger lakes can be great hunting.

DWB5 likes this.
  4. DWB5

Thanks for the info. How deep of lake is it?

5. SGK

SGK Refuge Member

Cayuga, as well as the other finger lakes, gets very deep.
    There are places where it is 400 feet deep.
    The north and south ends are the shallowest parts of the lake averaging around 25 feet.

6. DWB5

Ok that works. I'm use to 30'+. I know its hunting and nothing is a sure thing. But what are the chances of it being my first trip up there and having some good hunts. Given I'm going to try to give a day or two to scout and about 3-4 days to hunt.

7. BAYDOG

BAYDOG Moderator- Diver, NY Forum, Refuge Classifieds Sponsor Moderator Flyway Manager

Like he said, go 1st week in January, and chances are pretty good. Redheads are the main bird then , they winter there. Also bring a few mallards, Bufflehead and Goldeneye dekes to fill you "other" ducks.

8. DWB5

Ok. Cool. Sounds good. Is the redhead limit 2 up there as well?

9. BAYDOG

Yes!

10. DWB5

Ok. Thanks for all the help. Ill talk to game and fish. To send me some regulations. Thanks again.