Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

The Good Ole Days

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Montauker, Sep 25, 2016.

1. wvlippo

wvlippo Senior Refuge Member

Even without grain in the fields geese will stay and eat the winter wheat cover crops as long as there's no snow.

2. slacktide

slacktide Elite Refuge Member

at work or behind the wheel driving to work...
    Cover crops where not widespread in the late 70's-80s...when the combine picked the field that was it until spring... often the farmer would bushhog the field to promote the decay of the stubble and that really helped mutilate the waste grain... The geese ate corn in corn fields all winter along... as an aside, the geese back then tasted a whole lot better than these grass fed ones ...

I was a young man before the advent of the internet; so my 'spare time' was engaged in "chasing" all types of things...

3. Keith McGowan

Keith McGowan Elite Refuge Member

not as much cover crop grown up north, as there is here, for a few reasons. 1st, harvest is later so it is harder to get cover crop on . 2nd there are less days of favorable growing conditions for growing a significant amount of biomass of cover crops.
    one of the biggest things is shorter season corn and beans, 25-30 year ago the corn was barely cut down here, when the geese got to NY/N.PA the crops were still standing except for silage and there is very little food for migrating geese in a chopped silage field

bird junkie and HatterWayne like this.
  4. mdmallard

mdmallard Refuge Member

Montauker,

What I meant to say was that the winters (December, January and February) are warmer. I know some birds do migrate earlier than that, but if they aren't forced to leave then maybe they are "learning" to stay later and later. All it takes is for each generation to change their habits a little bit each time and then in 10 years you can have a drastically different migration pattern.

5. kahunna

kahunna Elite Refuge Member

fowlwhacker - Speaking of old restaurants, anyone remember the name of the old steak/prime rib place near downtown Easton in the late seventies/early eighties? Used to be in a strip shopping center I think. Had old gun stock/receivers for door knobs on the front door. Spent a few drunken stupor nights eating there.

6. drahthaarducker

drahthaarducker Elite Refuge Member

In the early 70's we rented from Bert Carl on Kent Island, I think he even had a little sporting goods store.
    Floaters were almost always Herters.
    In the late 70's early 80's Deal Island was hardly Hunted till Joe Renalds wrote an article about it in Outdoor Life's "In your Region" , I think I quit hunting the Impoundment in about 1983-84.
    I also worked as a guide for Lee Andrew of Easton (Belle Kennells).
    It was great picking up parties at The Tidewater Inn and dogs running all over the lobby.
    We also hunted out of a trailer Park , Duck Neck maybe ??? on the Chester, not far from Sears Pond/Cove?
    That wasn't hunted and always held geese.
    For a change we would hunt GirdleTree, Stockton, Elliotts, Fairmount and there was always birds somewhere.
    And when the Days were warm we had Bird dogs and 3 man limits were the norm.
    We made or painted our decoys yearly,built and grassed blinds and pits(Often from green lumber from Spicers).
    I miss those days, wish I'd had the cold weather gear I own now back then.
    Oh yeah, no one EVER baited back then.

7. muddyduck

muddyduck Elite Refuge Member

Dave all that sounds so familiar with the exception of guiding and buying lumber from Spicers. Makes me wonder how many times we crossed paths in the past.

Back in those days we couldn't afford poles for boobie blinds we just go into the woods and cut them and jet them in with the water pump... most years the ice would take take them away.

8. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

I remember it being a lot colder on October, when I was a child. Frost on the 5th, opening day of squirrel was almost a given.

Not uncommon to see snow by Halloween, and always some snow, at least a dusting, in Westminster for the pheasant opener.

9. SAXIS ISLANDER

SAXIS ISLANDER Elite Refuge Member

Here's a pic of Bunk Evans and Lee Chelton, Jr. True Saxis legends.

Attached Files:

10. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Saxis, is that lines of corn in the water? :joker