Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

The Good Ole Days

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Montauker, Sep 25, 2016.

1. drahthaarducker

drahthaarducker Elite Refuge Member

Probably raced each other to the Banana Pond a time or two:yes:yes

muddyduck likes this.
  2. Mayor of Seneca

Mayor of Seneca Elite Refuge Member

Those were the days limiting out on wild pheasants in Frederick County :)

3. Mayor of Seneca

Mayor of Seneca Elite Refuge Member

New York & PA with Mass. & Conn. in between are fly over State's for Chesapeake wintering grounds, weather pushes the AP birds to Delmarva, some years on time, other years much later. Even RP birds arrive here from lower Canada, New York and Conn. when snow and ice forces them further south, even RP birds migrate back to their home State's late winter.

4. SAXIS ISLANDER

SAXIS ISLANDER Elite Refuge Member

no..i'm sure they didn't bait in lines....probably in piles! In those days, before my time, most hunters would pool their money to buy corn in large quanities. They'd bait heavily in a windward cove which was used as a sanctuary of sorts. Hard northerly winds would drive the birds out of the cove to find shelter on leeward banks. Oh my...

5. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Learn something new everyday.

6. Backpeddler

Backpeddler Elite Refuge Member

My first memories of hunting were tagging behind my dad at Fort Meade while stalking deer with a bow. Little did I know he was really teaching me woodsmanship. He knew I could not sit still so we stalked. I knew what trees produced mast, how to track, etc. Funny when you learn the most is when you don't know you are being taught.

My first goose hunt was in Chestertown. Dad rented a blind for the day and the decoys were set when we arrived. I had a single shot 20 gauge. Circa 1971? Shot my first goose and was hooked. Had that goose mounted by Whitey Oxenham in Glen Burnie. Cost me $40. Eventually dad and his friends leased a farm in Vienna. Would stop at one of many places to eat. On KI the old circle restaurant, Hollies or a grease hole called Daves in Cambridge just past the Hyatt on Rt 50 now. Daves used to flood about every other weekend and we walked through water a couple inches deep to get to our table. Old deer mounts that looked like Sh!!! hung on the walls. Deer, geese, quail, squirrel, and ducks on the edge of the flooded marsh on that farm on Kraft Neck Rd. The decoys were tire decoys. Cutting the tires in thirds with bolt cutters on the steel belted and cutting a slit for the wooden heads sucked! Will never forget it. We kept warm in the blind with an old paint can with charcoal lit. Used an olt and a Faulks clear goose call. I liked the higher pitch on those Faulks. After the goose hunt we always ate lunch and then ran the hedge rows for quail. Too much fun.

I worked at Barts sporting goods in GB for a short time and then realized you had to work when it was busy and that was when I wanted to hunt. Bad combo for me. Bought a lot of gear from Roger at Sportsmans on KI. Spent many hours rushing from work to public land on the shore just to scout for deer. I would drive to Millington and scout for an hour till dark and then ride the hour and 20 minutes home. Seems silly now but back then you were just ate up with hunting.

Eventually leased my first farm off 290 in Chestertown right up the rd from Gooseslucers place. Right across from Duck Neck camp ground. Good times at the Bluebird the night before and sleeping at my high school buds moms house in Millington. Had some good lunches at Dutch Family Rest. Sad to think about the fate of many of the old eateries. Damn near shed a tear when I saw Hollies listed in my Real Estate office.

Found and lost many leases over the years. This year I came full circle back to Cambridge and now have a 3 year lease on a farm on the Choptank. Guess we will have to make some new memories.

woodsie likes this.
  7. shoot-straight

shoot-straight Senior Refuge Member

Been lots of talk on here about changing ag practices, cover crops etc. By far there is more uncut corn than I have ever seen (for this time of year) since I was a kid. All these fields will now get cut and the grain likely will not germinate. That means lots of food on the ground, that will stay around. It will be interesting to see how the geese react this year.

Its already impacting deer too. I dont see deer at my one spot till the corn is taken off. Very few deer on the camera so far.

8. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

One of the farms I'm on is loaded with corn, as I drove out of there on Saturday the farmer was rolling in with the disc.

Luckily my other farm that was in corn now has radishes in it.

I'm not making either of those up.:z

9. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

All this radishes talk. Who eats them anyway?

I drove past a prune farm last weekend. The birds were following the harvester and I got out of there in a rush.

10. muddyduck

muddyduck Elite Refuge Member

Is that the place next to the raisin farm?