The Grand

Discussion in 'Missouri Flyway Forum' started by whitey11, Mar 15, 2019.

1. whitey11

whitey11 New Member

Curious as to what everyone's thoughts are on HF expanding yet again? Will it have any effect on the public hunting at Grand Pass? If so, good or bad?

2. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

Talking Greek. Explain?

3. jolle

jolle Elite Refuge Member

Bigger concern, will it magnify the Grand Pass impact on overall hunting in that area and all over the state? I.e. hundreds of thousands of birds jammed in a small area that rarely leave it b/c all needs are provided and satisfied? I can't imagine it won't....and a select few will get to benefit from it. I don't know of a good solution, especially when private landowners are involved, but based on my experience the effects are hard to argue.

cam likes this.
  4. Uncle Fuzzy

Uncle Fuzzy Refuge Member

It's already having an effect. They are leasing ground around there and driving up the price to hunt. Went to a field we had hunted for years and were told by the owner that he was leasing it out to another farmer and the other guy controlled hunting rights. Talked to him and he wanted $200 a day. Fortunately we still have some contacts that don't like outfitters. Last I heard, a three day hunt with HF was $2400. Too rich for my side of the family, usually get on for a couple cases of beer or some nice tools.

5. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

I feel bad for anyone that has to hunt in that area. Your hunting just took a big hit. Him and Irs are ruining it for everyone.

Ramblingman, dux/24 7 and Timber like this.
  6. buck_master_2001

Ira. Not Irs.

7. Cliner

Cliner Elite Refuge Member

Good for them. Had an opportunity and took it. They have the balls and the money. Can’t fault em for doing it.

TooTall and SKDuckhunt like this.
  8. buck_master_2001

Unfortunately, they are screwing everyone around them. They aren’t doing anything illegal and there shouldn’t be laws against what they are doing but it just sucks that this is what hunting has become. Greed. Pure and simple.

Ramblingman, callinfowl and cam like this.
  9. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I'm wondering when this starts to fall under commercial exploitation of the states wildlife resources, interesting thoughts anyways.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    buck_master_2001 and callinfowl like this.
  10. Cliner

Cliner Elite Refuge Member

If that’s how you want to look at it. Anyone else had the same opportunity to foster relationships and purchase the land. I don’t believe in chastising someone for purchasing a couple of tracts of land to develop. They took the same opportunity others had. Now, in that same token, sure you have a valid argument that it increases the price of surrounding lands and I had the same opinion about their original operation, but this is no different than a development going in near a housing subdivision or anything else. Someone else has increased the value of surrounding lands and values. Simple economics. If you don’t like it, go join the communist flyway federation.

possumfoot, hunting1, WuChang and 2 others like this.