Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

The harvest is started.

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Big Burt, Aug 20, 2016.

1. morduks

morduks Elite Refuge Member

Cousins report local youngster honks have "found their wings" as he put it and are flying around bombing into all available swaths. Harvest starting for them in E. Sask. I head up for 15th trip on 9/17. Shooting Sask then going to try Manitoba for a few days too. Hoping to hit every Harvest/Fall Supper in every small town I can fit into schedule. Pierogis and home made berry pies.....:bow:bow:bow
    Tom B.

2. Big Burt

Big Burt Refuge Member

Hey guys mother nature put a stop to things yesterday . It rained on and off for 24 hours. All equipment is parked. Sk farmers will get caught up if we get sunshine for a couple days.
    Burt

3. mrmallerd

mrmallerd Elite Refuge Member

Talked with one of my farmers this morning. Crops as well as harvest is ahead of schedule. With any luck, the majority of harvest will be completed between 10/15 to 11/1. Lots of peas & barley have been harvested. Rain has slowed things down, but should e back in the field in a couple days.

4. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch Senior Refuge Member

Looked at one of my favorite fields yesterday. Barley/wheat/pea mix all swathed up and freshly rained on. will be awhile before it dries enough to pick it up so hopefully the birds get on it in the mean time.

5. 870

870 Senior Refuge Member

Harvest delays in central Alberta for the past week. Some areas have seen significant rainfall,,, our area has 1-2" rain in the past week,,, peas are about 50% harvested, some silage has been done and a little bit of barley harvested. Overall not that many fields opened up yet for the birds to feed on. Birds are hitting silage and pea fields.

I have one pea field that has been feeding 1000 plus geese and twice that many ducks for over a week now. However I am beginning to wonder how long the peas will hold out as goose fodder as I am seeing a lot of swollen, split and sprouted peas on the ground and the birds have been pretty flighty the past couple days. Our season opens on Sept 1, but if this damp weather continues, I wouldn't bet on those birds still being there for the opener!!!

In case you are wondering, geese seem to prefer their peas hard. Once the peas swell and sprout, the geese often drift away from that field for some freshly harvested dry peas or some sprouted barley / wheat. Waterfowl seem to love sprouted barley as much as they love dry peas. Given the scarcity of harvested fields in central Alberta now, a barley field in swath now that that is starting to sprout should be a huge attraction for local birds and early migrators.