The Horror of Pumping Your Own Gas

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by hartfish, Jan 3, 2018.

1. hartfish

hartfish Elite Refuge Member

What is wrong with people? I just can't fathom how people are freaking out over this and that this is somehow bad for Oregon's economy.

People are raising Cain on social media about a law in Oregon making it legal for citizens to pump their own gas.
    A law passed through Oregon’s legislature in May and signed into law in June will allow counties with 40,000 residents or fewer to pump their own gas. Oregonians are not pleased about the change.
    The law, which will take effect Jan. 1, has created a minor firestorm in rural parts of Oregon, where full-service gas stations have been the norm since 1951. A local CBS affiliate in Medford, Ore., asked its viewers on Facebook about the new law – the responses have ranged from anger to confusion.
    “I don’t even know HOW to pump gas and I am 62, native Oregonian…..I say NO THANKS! I don’t want to smell like gasoline!” one woman wrote in a comment on a survey the new station posted Dec. 29. The poll elicited more than a thousand responses.
    Another shared her opinion, with several commenters suggesting full-service gas stations are safer than those permitting residents to feel the exhilaration of filling their own tanks.
    “It is safer for people, if a station attendant does the service. The only advantage of pumping the gas yourself, would be paying a few cents less a gallon. Getting older, and being disabled, I’d rather have the help!” another person wrote, noting there are times when attendants are welcomed.
    http://dailycaller.com/2017/12/31/p...trikes-law-banning-self-service-gas-stations/

2. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

Considering I live in Oregon, I haven’t heard about any of this???

Are they really considering making us pump our own gas?
    My wife’s going to be upset.
    She’s going to drive over the hill to Portland every time she needs gas.

3. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

So I’ve only caught bits and pieces of this debate online and I’ll admit I’m not exactly clear on the history of pumping gas in Oregon.

But all i can say is LOL at the whole thing.

4. hartfish

Here you go. I had an extra. Feel free.

[​IMG]

5. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

That’s nuts if people don’t know how to pump gas what the hell do they do for a living live off the rest of us. Good lord where is this country going my 11 year old son pumps gas in our vehicles. May send him out there to train people how to do it lol

6. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

Last time I was in Oregon I forgot about the no gas pumping law, the attendant darn nearly tackled me when I grabbed the nozzle! It does keep a lot of people employed. Of course I remember back when all the gas stations pumped your gas, washed your windows, checked your tire pressure, water and oil levels. Now the guy behind the register barely wants to deal with counting out change (and probably couldn't if the register didn't tell em how much!).

7. Steve Borgwald

Steve Borgwald Elite Refuge Member

Same thing happened to me in NJ this past September.

Aggravating to see pumps closed because there aren't enough attendants on duty to pump.

8. hartfish

That's some twisted logic. Perhaps the govt should require everyone to throw their trash out the window so they can hire litter picker-uppers. All in the name of job creation, of course.

BirdJ, tcc, J.SCOTT and 1 other person like this.
  9. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

This summer we were driving through Corvallis pretty late at night and I noticed not one gas station open and many had cones so you couldn't pull up to the pump. What happens when you need gas late at night? Do you have to keep driving around hoping to come across a 24/7 station? This is a serious question btw. This would make total sense in rural areas for this reason alone, not to mention many others. Every time we did get gas, I felt as if it was more of an inconvenience than a help.

Doc E likes this.
  10. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

I've traveled in Oregon for the past 38 years, some of the years quite heavily due to business trips. I consider it a PITA to have to wait for someone to pump my gas. But I do understand that the practice is baked into Oregon's employment numbers and economy. And let's face it. A lot of these gas jockeys wouldn't qualify for much other employment.

I am behind a change in the law that would allow low volume rural stations, who can't afford to staff around the clock, to have customers pump their own gas, at least during off-hours.