The Horror of Pumping Your Own Gas

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by hartfish, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Golovkin

Golovkin Senior Refuge Member

How do you fill a lawn mower up in Oregon, push it to the gas station? Surely they don't allow citizens to dispense from a gas can?

Duck_Hunter_TX and stevena198301 like this.
  2. hartfish

hartfish Elite Refuge Member

She's pouring liquid electricity onto her electric car. That's how you charge them.

3. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I remember when we had a choice between full-service and self-service gas pumping in California. Due to the decreased market need of full-service, it was soon eliminated as a choice.

I would guess that if the good people of Oregon were given the choice between paying more for full-service, and paying less for self-service, that you would see a similar market trend in Oregon… It would be a very quick learning curve on pumping gasoline into a car.

I often go to Costco for gasoline, as the pump prices are considerably lower… I am all too frequently frustratingly amazed at the ineptitude of the ability of people to pump gas… (Which is far more evident at Costco due to the lower gas prices and far longer lines at the pump stations)

Granted, pumping gas at Costco is a bit more complicated, cause you need to first insert your Costco card, and then when prompted, pick your payment method and insert/swipe your payment card.

Now this combination of complex events, is apparently too much for a high percentage of California citizens.

There is a picture of what to do, and which way the card goes, and written information on how to swipe the card (which I would have previously incorrectly deemed as unnecessary for the majority of the public). I have recently considered making a Youtube video on how to pump gas at Costco, do to the high level of complexity involved…

A 3-part series, due to the complexity and choices… The first series would demonstrate how to use a Costco gift card (as this is the most simple). Next would be how to use the Costco membership card in combination with a credit card… The last (and most advanced) video would be how to use the Costco card in combination with a debit card… This is apparently far more confusing due to the need inputting the pin number after inserting the debit card.

And then there is the simple matter of basic manners and consideration which it would appear is all too often over-looked… Long lines of people waiting to get gas, and some schmuck sitting in his/her car talking on the phone for 10 minutes before getting out to even start the process… (I watched someone last week, in which two people behind her completed the complete process of paying and pumping, before she even started).

4. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Never work... You'd need a part 4 illustrating why there are 3 choices with different numbers (87, 89, 93 here) it makes you pick before gas will come out.

Otherwise, they'll just stand there not knowing whats next.

Squaller likes this.
  5. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

WOW, just WOW!

Do they have "wipers" in the gas station restrooms also?

TheDuckSlayer likes this.
  6. Gander

Gander Elite Refuge Member

Maybe the more affluent among them can hire the out of work attendants to be their butler. This way they can ride around with them until they need to fuel up. You know cause pumping your own gas is far too uncivilized.

7. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

I guess Iowa is pretty primitive, all my life I can think of exactly ONE full service station that stood the test of time. And it's been closed well over a decade now. But that was the last one standing for probably 20 years. Used to be a real leathery gal who worked there, trained for long distance runs and triathlons almost year round in just a halter top and shorts. Sun did a number on her, up close kinda looked like a piece of beef jerky but she was pretty fine looking as she walked away to get your change. She was pretty nice though and wasnt all that much older than me and my buddies, when we were in HS she'd get us cans of Cope for a couple bucks tip. Funny the things you remember.

8. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

I despise the gas pumps in Cali.....that stupid cap on the pumps to help prevent vapors from emitting into the atmosphere.

Doc E and stevena198301 like this.
  9. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

That can't happen in Oregon. The sun is shining.

10. Steve Borgwald

Steve Borgwald Elite Refuge Member

Or how about allowing the gas station owner decide how many to employ and which duties to assign.

newduk likes this.