Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

the hunt you think you are paying for;;

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by ALLSTAR 1, Feb 19, 2015.

1. nateshult

nateshult New Member

I have been on a couple guided snow goose hunts, and even a time or 2 for honkers in the fall.

The snow goose hunts I've been on were not shellburners, but I still would have felt like a real a hole telling the guide not to shoot. I expected him to shoot. Not singles or pairs, but really honestly, if there were more birds than hunters, I didn't feel like he was doing me some huge disservice by shooting, too. We actually told him to shoot more on more than one occasion.
    I guess that's where you have to make a distinction, and all I'm doing is paying to have someone do the logistics. Find the field, get decoys to the field, that sort of thing. Not be my servant. When I go to hunt with a buddy and he does all of this work, I reciprocate by taking him on a hunt, where I do the work. The work that goes into a successful hunt takes time and $$ whether I hire a guide or not. If I hire a guide, I am paying for his hard work, and he is a much bigger part of the hunt than I. So if he wants to swat cripples or shoot his birds or shoot at all during the CO, I expect that. I prefer to think of the guide as another buddy in the field with me. If a buddy takes me on a hunt and I shoot my limit, would I not expect him to pick up a gun and shoot at some point?
    Some of you sound like the people that go to restaurants and expect your serve to actually serve you. Maybe on hand and knee even. I find you usually get the best service when you treat people like your equal. But maybe I'm wrong... I just know when the honker hunting gets good in Rochester, I have more than one guide with my number calling me and telling me to get my butt down there..

2. thegoodie1

thegoodie1 Elite Refuge Member

Well said...

Been in 4 or 5 guided hunts mostly for snows..time and distance is what I am paying for. The one thing that drives me nuts is when our group asks if we can help and the guide says no they got everything, bet there are not as many guys that worry about that or know that hunting is a gamble and some days you get them and others days you don't.

3. swampstomper

swampstomper Refuge Member

About to go on a guided snow hunt this weekend here in SE TX. That,s if our outfitters birds hold. They said they won,t take us unless they have geese. Me and my guys have our own leases but our geese moved on up the coast. What we,re mostly paying for is the use of their land. It,s a plus that we don,t have to haul all our gear, but we could easily do so. The way I see it our guide will be one of the group and expected to shoot like everyone else. Guides like to shoot some birds too and I figure a happy guide is a hard working guide.

4. ALLSTAR 1

ALLSTAR 1 Elite Refuge Member

Again! The post was an attempt at humor and no intent to demean meant at all... I am sorry if this has turned into something else.. but...
    For the guys that DIY that is great! We do too if we hunt locally. I have to admire your determination if you drive several hundred miles, scout, get permission, get rooms, etc, etc, and can get a half dozen guys to go with you. I know there are some but I personally only know of a couple and they are all young and bulletproof. If you live in or near snow goose concentrations that is one thing. But if you are coming from far away a guide is the only realistic option (unless you are jump shooting and I am not even going to go there!).

5. Big Ches

Big Ches Elite Refuge Member

You can blame me for it going south. I mean look at my sig line I was given :dv

I gotta drive 2.5 hours to my field, granted my farmer texts me with updates about everyday. I typically only hunt 2-4 guys and have had 2 back surgeries. But then again, I'm not a poosy....

6. bubba ducky

bubba ducky Elite Refuge Member

Haha!

7. nateshult

nateshult New Member

I love it when the guide lets us help out with stuff. My buddy and I were on a snow goose hunt, and got back before anyone else had made it back to the field so we went around and set up all of the socks that had blown over, then filled in some stubbling on some of the blinds. Guide was blown away that we were back early and helped with stuff.

Or this fall we were on a guided honker hunt after our area froze up and we got out with a guide we had been with before. Earlier in the year after our field finished out we stayed and offered to call for him and let him shoot his birds. Well there for 4 of us that went the next time, and we had some awful, no wind, stale bird conditions, and he let us reset every last stinking decoy in the field and never fussed about it. We ended up shooting a few birds that afternoon after we reset. Stuff like that makes me feel like a part of the hunt. I love the DIY stuff and I get a much greater sense of satisfaction doing it myself, but sometimes it just doesn't work to do that. I can still feel good about a guided hunt knowing that I contributed to something other than pulling the trigger, but I like to help with something.

8. bad dog

bad dog Senior Refuge Member

when I pay for a ***** I shure aint wantin DIY,but I don't mind participating.bad dog

9. txduckster

txduckster Elite Refuge Member

I tend to let my customers tell me what they want in a hunt and then go from there. If a group doesn't want me to shoot then I won't. I have also had guys tell me to get my gun out and blaze away. When I do shoot I have a couple of rules that I live by. Don't shoot first, don't shoot last and never shoot the obvious birds (closest or easiest targets).

The years I had a dog I hardly ever pulled my gun out. For the last couple of years I didn't have a dog so I would load up and swat cripples.

Specifically on snow goose hunts: I would want the guide to shoot and shoot a lot. There is no limit so it's not like he is going to shoot your birds. Now, if he is coming up first and shooting the closest birds before anyone else has a chance then that would stop in a hurry. Any guide worth his salt wouldn't ever do that though.

It doesn't take much time if you listen to a person to figure out what part or parts of the hunt make it worth the money for them. Some guys are big into sunrises and watching birds work. Some guys just want to pull the trigger as many times as they can. Guys that bring kids are usually all about making the experience memorable for them. When kids are on the hunt I try to answer all their questions and let them help so that they really feel a part of the hunt. Kids love to run down cripples and it usually makes for some very entertaining video when they get up to one and don't know what to do with it.

Rambling over.....

10. wkochevar

wkochevar Senior Refuge Member

I really don't have a dog in this fight but I would hazard a guess that the clients who request the guide to shoot along with them really don't want the added birds they have to take home...they want the pictures!