Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

the hunt you think you are paying for;;

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by ALLSTAR 1, Feb 19, 2015.

1. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Guides in Manitoba are not allowed to carry firearms and cannot shoot at all with clients. Clearly stated with guiding license. Bear guides may carry a firearm for personal and client protection only.

I was a fishing guide when I was a kid. I started at age 13, and went 6am to 6pm every day, all summer. Basically lived on tips. I didn't wet a line, unless the clients were having problem with presentation, and I would show them my techniques for catching walleye and other targeted species. If we were short a fish or two for shore lunch, I would fish for a short while until we had enough for me to give them a good shore lunch experience, then my rod was put away. By the time I was 16, I hated fishing and quit guiding. Too much too young I guess. It took about 10 years before I picked up a rod and started enjoying fishing with my friends again. I usually go out once or twice a week during the summer and that is enough.

Point being, is that sometimes doing something for a living spoils the recreation side of the sport. I have two good friends who are hunting guides, and neither hunts for waterfowl at all anymore. Really too bad.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  2. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

Same in SK. Dumbest law ever made, lost quite a few cripples that I'm sure died later only to be wasted because of that law. No basis for it and it leads to more wasted birds.

3. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

I have hunted along refuges that we could not enter to pick up dead or crippled birds. I asked one of the wardens about putting down my gun and going in to pick up birds since we felt they were wasted. He said that is not a waste. The rest of the local critters have to eat to, they will clean those up, probably overnight. So don't think they are wasted.....they aren't. Up in Canada the eagles and coyotes enjoy a free meal.The law is not dumb unless someone really wants the guide to shoot.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  4. Big Ches

Big Ches Elite Refuge Member

So just because this obviously very knowledgeable warden said that then it's not a waste? Just because something dies in the wild doesn't mean it gets eaten. That's just their excuse to not have to deal with people going in there. With that mentality then nobody should go chase cripples down since "they're just going to be eaten by something anyway" :rolleyes: Speaking of "wardens"....how many times have I had to tell the "warden" what bird he was looking at? No sir, that's a gadwall not a hen mallard.

I agree with Trevor, stupid azz rule....

5. Trevor Shannahan

As a Canada goose/duck guide, all I want a gun for is cripples. I don't want to have to chase a cripple 300 yards if I don't have to, and I don't want cripples getting up and flying away only to die a mile away. It's about putting a quick, ethical end to the birds suffering.

Yes I understand predators have to eat to, but that shouldn't be from sloppy hunters.

6. jzee

jzee Elite Refuge Member

A well trained dog ?

What or who allows/makes a Hunter to be sloppy?

7. Trevor Shannahan

Not everybody has a dog, especially a well trained one. Even with a dog some cripples would escape. I never pick birds up without a gun in the states, I have seen too many birds get up and fly away only to fall out in the next farm over.

The law prevents me as a guide from being able to finish off a cripple in a timely matter, so that law is making us sloppy hunters.

8. no harm-no fowl

no harm-no fowl Senior Refuge Member

Ya, what ever....... Everyone has cripples, even you. Your lying if you say you don't. It's part of the game. Deal with it the best you can and move on. Guides don't shoot when I'm hunting with them, if they want to shoot, then don't be a guide. Sure I want numbers when I SG hunt, but I want them to be my numbers.

We just got back from a guided SG hunt. In 3 days of hunting, we only lost 1 bird and we sailed a few of them. I brought my dog and we traced them down. It was a lot of fun working the dog.

9. jzee

jzee Elite Refuge Member

Us,

I thought guides were not allowed to have guns, making them guides not hunters. Thus allowing a guide to control the hunt/ to prevent it from getting sloppy.

As far as the Dog, maybe Canada needs another stupid law.

10. Trevor Shannahan

I didn't say I don't have cripples, I said I need a gun to shoot those cripples so they don't fly off and die elsewhere and get wasted. It's about waste to me. I can't tell you how many birds I had in Canada get up and fly away with me standing 5 feet from them only to go die a mile away. It's a needless waste of a bird because of a stupid law. I don't want to shoot as a Canada/duck guide other than to finish off an extra lively cripple.

BTW, why do you care if they are YOUR numbers on Snows? There isn't a limit, the point of the season is conservation, it's to kill as many as possible legally, stop being greedy.