Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

the hunt you think you are paying for;;

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by ALLSTAR 1, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

I can control a hunt just fine with a gun sitting next to me. That gun prevents the hunt from getting sloppy by allowing me to dispose of cripples that try to get away. Pretty simple.

Honestly, there is nothing preventing me from going and getting my gun and hunting myself after I limit a group out as long as they are all unloaded. So what is the point of the law? There isn't one. Granted, I would never do what I just said because I want to spend that time scouting for the next day, but hypothetically I could.

2. mrsteve

mrsteve Senior Refuge Member

Exactly. I don't care how many guys are shooting during conservation season. Kill 'em all and stack 'em up.

3. no harm-no fowl

no harm-no fowl Senior Refuge Member

What do you mean, stop being greedy. I don't care if we only get 1 bird, we want to know if that 1 bird was shot by us, not the guide. Because we went to shoot birds, not have others shoot them. If it dosen't make any difference to you if you shot the birds, than why not save some money and just go set at the edge of the field and watch another group shoot birds. like you said, just so the birds get killed. BTW, why do you care if they are YOUR numbers on Snows? If you don't understand why someone might take pride in doing a good job himself, I can't explain it to you. :rolleyes: mrsteve, sounds like you maybe a guide too.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  4. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

Someone told me a while back to treat the guide as part of the hunting party. I like that. I don't look at them as YOu work for ME. I have no problems with them getting in on the fun. It makes for a much more enjoyable experience. I am mainly talking about snow geese. The goal is to kill as many as possible. When you have a group ball up you need all the guns you can get. Having the guide is one more gun. So heck yes, let him shoot and kill some birds.

5. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

You miss the entire point of this season. BTW when it's a group you have no clue what you shot in a group of 1000 geese anyways so what's adding 1 gun to that hurt?

6. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

Exactly. You don't know and frankly, who cares?!?! I am sure guides love him as a client.

7. dog walker

dog walker Senior Refuge Member

We did guided conservation hunts for a few years in a row. I always got enough friends together to lock up whole feilds to ourselves. We used the same outfitter and always requested the same guide.

He wouldn't shoot on singles and small groups but would shoot on big groups.I never asked him not to shoot and I could careless but I thought it was very professional of him to pass on them. This is what I would expect from any guide.

8. Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee Elite Refuge Member

My advice is this. Never hire a snow goose that doesn't shoot. You want a guide that wants to kill birds. If he is just there for the money?..he is an idiot.

9. ALLSTAR 1

ALLSTAR 1 Elite Refuge Member

Computer caught the flu or I would have posted earlier.

Had a very good trip to NWMO with an outfitter. Got our money's worth and more. Hit a juvie migration and harvested 42 last Tuesday and 16 more on Wednesday. A big feed took most of the birds wed morning and then the wind and sun left and it slowed dramatically!
    The neat thing was, all of our birds but a couple were smacked at under 30 yards! Had several land! The guides were great and worked hard in every aspect of the hunt and stay at the house they provided. I will post some pictures when I get them from my buddy. I also left my phone behind so no pix for me.
    I will describe what I thought were the pluses of this hunt and why I felt we got our money's worth.
    To start; This hunt was scheduled for the 1st week of March for 6 of us. Due to the weather and lack of birds, the guide rescheduled 2 of the party for last week as this was there only opening. He had us rescheduled for last tues/wednesday. The 4 of us are all pretty spry 60 to 70 year olds. The guide leases a 4 bedroom house. He keeps a stocked kitchen and usually cooks a couple meals for guests and has rolls etc, coffee for breakfast. They go out a couple hours early to set up the spread rearrange blinds etc. then come back and get us. They had excellent 5 person Ranger 4 wheelers to take us to the spread out in the cornfield. They hunt over 1200-1400 socks and rotary machines. The blinds were buried in corn stover; almost invisible with full body decoys around them.

[​IMG]
    If the birds were sliding behind they quickly rearranged the rotaries and the open hole to get them to finish out front. The 2 dogs were excellent and we never lost a cripple that went down in sight. If we wanted to shoot pairs, they would let us do that or if we wanted to try for bigger groups if the birds would provide. We tried some of both, depending on how the birds were working.
    They shot into big groups after we took some shots but let us shoot into the smaller bunches and cleaned up a cripple or two. One day we wanted to come out from lunch early and they were happy to do that. They stayed in the field until after sunset if we wanted. They were looking for other fields that might be better but ours was in a good spot and so we hunted it both days.
    Of course, the arrival of Ross and juvies made the hunt and put smiles on all our faces; This is our second year with them and they are getting better. Next year they are getting a full body spread.
    We all cleaned birds together and they individually tagged each bird (!). No hassle there if someone was checking I guess. They had a freezer for birds.
    Oh, and plenty of beer for the evenings...
    The guide fee including the lodging, snacks, etc. was $225/ full day/ person.
    Hope we get into the juvies again next year.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015