Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

The kids flock is growing

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by Over The Decoys, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Over The Decoys

Over The Decoys Elite Refuge Member

The kiddo has definitely shot some stud birds so far in his short waterfowl career but these three are great examples of each species for him to enjoy for many years to come. The pintail and wigeon were the new addition to his 1st mallard Drake. His mom said after he gets his Woodduck back (that he shot this past season) "that's it" no more birds for the wall. I guess that means standing mounts from here on out :dv..

Thanks again to Pat at NW Wings. Outstanding work as always.

[​IMG]

Cheers,

Adam

2. Brad's Birds

Brad's Birds Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I have a question as a taxidermist.....nothing against your mounts, just curious as to why you (or your son) chose the poses. The vast majority of my customers choose "back out" mounts, especially on puddle ducks, in order to show off the colors. If they already have several of those, they may then opt for the poses in your photos for something "different". Vary rarely is the statement "I'd like them just how they were when I clicked off the safety" mentioned......which may be the answer to my original question, but wanted to ask anyway.

3. Duck Wrangler

Duck Wrangler Senior Refuge Member

Nice mounts! I really like the pintail pose!

4. Over The Decoys

Over The Decoys Elite Refuge Member

It's a great question & yes you (for the most part) answered it. I like the idea of anyone looking at a mounts and for that briefest of seconds wanting to yell "take 'um!" It takes them/me right "that moment"... (see below)
    [​IMG]

Although I respect the artistic aspects of the "traditional style" mounts that most of your clients prefer they are just not my cup of tea.

Cheers,

Adam

5. 3labman

3labman Senior Refuge Member

It's all about the memories man. I don't have any mounted like yours other than my bar belly but I like em!

6. Wild Rice

Wild Rice Senior Refuge Member

I agree with Brad. He should have had them mounted the exact same way everyone else has theirs done.

7. Atown

Atown Senior Refuge Member

Adam, what you are doing for your son I hope to do with my son as well. I am in the same boat as you with the poses, I see all these poses that don't seem to capture the moment. Way to go against the norm.

Over The Decoys likes this.