The Laest Research on Fatty Acids

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Doc E, May 24, 2007.

1. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Here are excerpts from a research article from "Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy" January 2, 2007 [Early Epub] by Jean-Marie Bourre.

Dr. Dan Murphy excerpted 42 Key Points from the article. Then I excerpted (from Dr. Murphy's list) those Key points that relate to both Humans and Dogs. I have left out those that are purely human findings and don't relate to canines.

The excerpts are in BLACK and my personal comments are in [BLUE]

Definitions: ALA Alpha-linolenic acid, plant derived 18-carbon long omega-3 fatty acid. Found in flaxseed, walnut oil and hemp oil.

EPA Eicosapentanoic acid, animal derived 20-carbon long omega-3 fatty acid. Primarily from cold-water fish.

DHA Docosahexanoic acid, 22-carbon long omega-3 fatty acid. Primarily from cold-water fish, although some algaes also contain DHA.

1) Adequate maternal omega-3 fatty acid (primarily DHA) ensures the optimal cerebral and cognitive development of the infant. [This is why I recommend Tuna Oil (high in DHA) for pregnant and lactating bitches]

4) ALA, DHA and EPA are important for preventing ischemic cadiovascular disease. [This was first shown in dogs and later in humans]

5) Omega-3 fatty acids (particularly DHA) have been shown to help prevent age-related macular (retinal) degeneration. This is why I recommend Tuna Oil (high in DHA) for dogs age 10 or 11 and older

8) The best sources for EPA and DHA are fish, seafood and "omega-3 eggs".

9) Both the omega-6 fatty acid linoleic (LA) and the omega-3 fatty acid ALA are "physiologically esssential" essential for life

11) Pregnant females that consume more fish oil improve the pregnancy for both the mother and the infant(s), reducing prematurity and low birth weight and reducing pre-eclampsia in the mother.

15) Omega-3 fatty acids are most important as structural elements in the developing nervous system (includes the brain) of the fetus and newborn and this is directly linked to the mother's food. [Again this is the reason that I recommend Tuna Oil for pregnant and lactating bitches, as well as puppies that are still developing their brain and nervous system]

16) ALA influences vision, behavior and brain structure and function. [Only a very small amount of DHA can be made from ALA]

17) Mother's milk that is high in DHA (and to some extent EPA) influences the visual, cerebral and intellectual capacities of newborn babies.

18) The fetus uses most of the portion of dietary omega-3 fatty acids for its developing brain.

19) Without supplementation, maternal DHA status decreases during pregnancy [It's all going to the babies for brain and nervous system development]

23) A diet containing only ALA (flaxseed oil) increases the ALA and EPA in the milk and erythrocytes of the lactating female, but not DHA.

26) Omega-3 fatty acids, particularly DHA prevent age-related macular (retinal) degeneration. [Notice the word PREVENT, (not just "help prevent) Again this is why I recommend Tuna Oil for older dogs]

27) There is no doubt that supplements of omega-3 fatty acids generally taken as fish oil improve infant visual acuity.

28) A lack of omega-3 fatty acids damages hearing and leads to premature aging of the auditory nervous system. "Omega-3 fatty acids are important dietary components for perserving hearing throughout life". [Lots of dogs, even those that are not exposed to gunfire, lose their hearing]

29) Infant mammals (including humans) given fish oil during their first year of life are less likely to develop type 1 diabetes. [This is probably due to the anti-inflammatory action of very long chain omega-3 fatty acids]

32) There should always be a good intake of antioxidants (particularly vitamin E) to restrict the peroxidation of fatty acids, as these peroxide derivatives are genotoxic and cytotoxic. [This is VERY VERY Important, and why I do not recommend supplementing with fish oil without supplementing with Vit E at the same time. Fatty acids are very easily peroxidized (free radicals) unless they are protected with antioxidants.]

41) There is practically no toxicological risk from consuming too much omega-3 fatty acid.

After I take a brain break, I'll follow this up with another post with some more of my thoughts.

2. Doc E

In the thread titled "dina-vite" I mentioned the Fish Oil that we (me, wife and Casey) use. It is a fully complete Omega-3 supplement. It contains (molecular distilled) Fish Oil (600 mg EPA and 300 mg DHA)(this is the ideal 2:1 ratio)...100 mg ALA from Flax Seed Oil...100 i.u. Vitamin E...100 mg Black Currant Seed Oil (GLA).

I can sell this for $35 for 90 capsules (one per day)
    or, it's much cheaper in the liquid form (1/2 tsp per day) and it's $68 for 8 ounces (shipping included).

Tuna Oil is $22 for 180 capsules (shipping included).
    ***Because these products are not "my brand", I cannot give any further discount from these prices***

So here's my take on Omega 3 Fatty Acids.

Pregnant and lactating bitches==TUNA OIL (5 parts DHA to 1 part EPA)
    Puppies until one year of age==TUNA OIL
    Old dogs (age 11 and up)==TUNA OIL

For all other dogs, FISH OIL with the co-factors ALA, Vit E, GLA.

I know this is kind of mind boggeling, so if you have any question, feel free to post them up here and I'll see if I can help it make sense.

3. billdalton

billdalton Elite Refuge Member

My old girl "Cinder" is closer to 11 than 10 ... I started her on Doc E's Gluclosamine + MSM when she was 9 ... couldn't believe the difference it made in her (within 60 - 90 days)

I am also giving her Vit. E and Tuna Oil I get from Doc E ... I trust his judgement and "Cinder" means the world to me ... so I would not consider getting her supplments anywhere but from him ...

No doubt in my Mind Doc E's advice and his products have and will increase the quality and longevity of "Cinder's" life!

Thanks Doc ... you are "THE BEST" in my book!

Bill

4. Losthwy

Losthwy Elite Refuge Member

You mention Tuna Oil, what about other fish sources?

5. quack head

quack head Senior Refuge Member

Where can i buy this stuff "For all other dogs, FISH OIL with the co-factors ALA, Vit E, GLA"

6. Doc E

Tuna Oil (actually South Sea Tuna Oil) is the only fish oil with the 5:1 DHA to EPA ratio. Also South Sea T.O. is pretty naturally uncontaminated, but even at that, the product that I can get is also molecular distilled to remuve all impurities and contaminants.

7. Doc E

That's the one that I mentioned that I can get for you. It's the one that's $35for 90 capsules or $68 for 8 0z liquid.

Until I get my website order blank updated, if you want either the fish oil or the tuna oil, just write it in on the order blank.

In the past (while I was awaiting this kind of scientific evidence), I only special ordered these products when people needed them. Now that there is good science that backs up my past claims, I'll be keeping these in stock.

8. Luv2sled

Luv2sled Elite Refuge Member

Doc,

Is 200 IU/kg of Vitamin E per day sufficiant for a dog?

9. Doc E

Are you talking about 200 iu/kg of dog food or 200 iu/kg of dog?

10. quack head

quack head Senior Refuge Member

doc did you get my pm about innova evo dog food??